1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick golf style question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Actually, I think she's changed sports.

Heard she climbed Everest 6 times in succession this spring.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

What debate or brawl? Of course it's runs batted in.
    [potstirrer] ;D

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's the acronym style that's the issue, and I'M NOT LISTENING. (Covering ears), LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA ...

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

How about this one: Did a story a couple years back on two guys who aced the same hole while playing in the same group. The kicker was they were playing with two PGA Tour caddies, one of whom lives in town and the other who was here visting a woman he was engaged to. The best part was if they had been playing the same ball and couldn't identify their own, the aces wouldn't have counted. (Officially, anyway.)

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Happened to a friend of mine. They were playing a par-3, and it was almost dark. One of them broke out a new sleeve of balls, and the other guy wanted to try hitting them. So they both hit Srixons with the number 7 on them. They knew both balls hit the green, but couldn't see them after that. They went to the green, and there's a Srixon 7 pin-high, 8 feet away, and a Srixon 7, in the hole.

If you go by the rules, they both have to declare a lost ball and go back and hit their third shots off the tee, because they can't identify either ball.

The bad thing is that my friend had six holes-in-one in his life, the other guy didn't have one to that point.

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

And the moral of this story is....don't touch another man's balls?

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's an incredible story. That's why you mark 'em, I guess...

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The woman in question, Jacqueline Gagne, lives in the desert. After Kindred's story -- and an ugly separation between Gagne and her partner -- she's dropped out of sight.

My hole-in-one story (which unfortunately doesn't involve me swinging anything mightier than a pen):

Two years ago at the Par-3 Shootout in Michigan, Rick Smith (Mickelson's former coach and the managing partner of the Treetops Resort) pulls me aside and tells me about this story I had to hear.

This real estate developer from Wisconsin, Sanjay Kuttemperor, played a round with Smith on the Par-3 course at Treetops. Now, according to him, Sanjay had played all of about 20 birdie-free rounds of golf in his life.

That didn't stop him from acing two holes in a five-hole span. The second came after he bounced a ball off the trees right of the hole. It kicked left and rolled right into the cup. Because the hole plays uphill, they didn't know what happened until he looked in the cup.

The odds of this happening are roughly 67 million to 1.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wow. Amazing.

The closest I've come to an ace was about 6 inches on a short par 3 (probably 120 yards) at this awful country club course in Va. My only birdie of the day. On a much better course, I played an island green to about 3 feet. I was so shaken by my tee shot, I two-putted for par.

12. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

It's run-batted-ins. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted