1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick baseball style question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by housejd, Jun 12, 2008.

1. housejd

housejd Member

If someone says "one through nine," as in the first batter to the last, would it be one through nine or 1 through 9? Or neither? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Standard number rules... one through nine.

3. housejd

housejd Member

thanks. much appreciated.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

In instances like that, I've always used the numbers -- 1 through 9. I know the AP style says no, but the number is what is used on the lineup card. If a coach is describing where a batter is in the lineup, I'd have to go with "He hits in the 3-hole" and not "He hits in the three-hole."
    I know, a writing purist would say to just change it say the batter hits third, but I still think this is one of the times you can go against AP style (heaven knows there are many others).

5. Do you write that someone is a 2nd baseman?

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's "A's" not "As."

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

No ... he's a "four" ... like it says on the lineup card ;)

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Cut the jargon, even in a quote. Just say the guy hits third.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The As 2nd baseman hit 4th in the order.

10. Fixed.

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Actually, the position number is 4. He plays second base, or you can say he is the second baseman. Don't use 2nd; it's an abbreviation.
    If I had a coach in a quote about someone include "he's the best kid I've ever coached at the 4," I wouldn't change it to say "he's best the kid I've ever coached at second."
    Sure, it conveys the same info, but it changes the coach's speaking style and the color of the quote. Of course, if I used "4" as mentioned above, I'd explain to the sports-challenged what it meant, but I wouldn't change the quote.
    Sports is an area where the AP's rule on numbers doesn't always apply.
    A baseball game does not end two-one, it's 2-1.
    A hockey goal can be scored by going 5-hole, not five-hole.
    In basketball, you can have a great scorer at the 3, not the three.
    And speaking of basketball, it's 3-pointer, not three-pointer.
    Two players can provide a great 1-2 punch, not a one-two punch.
    A fullback scores on a 4-yard run, not four-yard.
    You may disagree and prefer to think of AP style as gospel. Go ahead. I don't.

12. I don't know about the others, but those three are specifically in the Stylebook. You're not quite the rebel you think you are.

Draft saved Draft deleted