1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick baseball history question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 3, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Does anyone know the first time a pitcher was slotted in the 8 hole as a starter?

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I'm betting Babe Ruth was one of the first.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

He was, but the more digging I did, he's not the first...a few guys in the early 1900's.

4. Since the pitcher was originally just another infielder who was instructed to throw the ball where ever the batter wanted, it's highly likely that the first pitchers batted all over the lineup. Good-hitting pitchers were also common throughout the 19th century, but surviving box scores are not, so there's probably no good way to answer that question.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

yeah. i was looking for a trivia for our telecasts, since we are in STL and LaRussa bats his pitcher 8, but I think this isn't what I thought it was gonna be

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In Game 4 of the 1918 World Series, Babe Ruth was the starting pitcher and batted sixth.

I believe Wes Ferrell, 193-128 lifetime as a pitcher and .280 lifetime at the plate, frequently batted sixth or seventh in the lineup. I believe it was also not uncommon for Don Newcombe (.271 lifetime) to bat higher than ninth.

But they did that because the managers actually thought they were decent hitters. LaRussa is working on the assumption that the pitcher is still a dead loss offensively, he wants to have the #9 hitter as his "second leadoff" hitter as is commonly done in the AL. Plus, you're going to pinch-hit for the pitcher anyway in all likelihood.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Starman's on the nose on this one. I believe Walter Johnson also hit higher than ninth in the order, occasionally.

But La Russa's move isn't unprecedented by any means. And I can't be 100% sure, but I don't think his reasoning for the move is, either.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I'm sure there are many, many pitchers who batted high in the order in the 1890s...Bob Caruthers comes to mind, as well as other two-way players like Cy Seymour, Elmer Smith, Monte Ward, etc.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Perhaps something along the lines of the leading HR-hitting pitcher in team history (or league history)?

Draft saved Draft deleted