1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Liut, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Raiders

Raiders Guest

A newsroom clerk at my paper once expressed his desire to cover a prep game. So he got a tryout. But he did not know the value of arming himself with a game program to identify the players he was writing about, so his tryout came to a crashing halt after his game story attributed a crushing tackle to "Mystery Linebacker No. 58." On the other hand, the infamous clerk's story gets told every year now during prep season.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

What if you write a feature about it? We're a weekly and I've written plenty of stories talking about games I didn't go to.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If the story is in the context of a feature, it's a little different, IMO. While I'm not big on anynomous quotes, if the quote is a classic that sums up the mood perfectly and adds to the story, I wouldn't object.

Even at a daily paper, it is quite common for there to be more games in the area than you have the time/space/mapower to staff on a given night. So if something noteworthy happens at one of those, it's perfectly logical to do a followup shortly thereafter. If a team is winless, I suspect they are going to be lower on the pecking order among teams in the readership, so it makes perfect sense you staff a different game. But it doesn't mean they don't have a story to tell, so kudos to the writer for telling it rather than just ignoring them and saying "eh, Podunk sunks, no one cares".

As for 3-pointer or three-pointer, it's of those style things that seems to vary from one paper to another. Not sure what the official AP gospel on that is.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That wasn't in the song, was it?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Same, though I prefer three-pointer, but I see the other side. Just a preference, and we've had this debate many times on this board.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agree 100 percent. If a reporter is willing to indulge in such dishonesty, what else in the story is to be believed. Not a question, really, but thought.

A couple of papers back, we had a reporter bylined and datelined from a carrier in the Indian Ocean. While proofing the story, I glanced over and there he was, sitting at his cubicle. And, no, he hadn't been to the Indian Ocean recently, or ever for all I know.

However, we had a veteran editor that thought such a dateline served as a locator. That editor was a pro and aided me several times, but we never did come to an agreement on the issue.

Back to the quote from the unidentified fan, my guess is the reporter heard it secondhand from the winless team's coach or a player. The team's bench is in front of the the stands.

As Mark said, it was good the paper showed interest in the story. As I indicated at the top, it was a good piece from a good writer. It appeared in a paper with a very good daily section.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Maybe he was quoting this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Sorry, we already covered blowjobs (/crossthread)

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

To those offering legitimate input, thank you.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3-pointer.

You can't always get a name, but I'd still use a great quote from an unidentified fan.

Never a dateline if you were not there.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You must be new here if you think all you are going to get is "legitimate input."
    Embrace the dark side young Jedi.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No.

Draft saved Draft deleted