1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Liut, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Recently read a well-written piece on the struggles of a winless football team. It was good work. However, it contained a quote from a nameless fan in the stands - from a game the reporter didn't attend.

I questioned the usage. Thoughts?

Recently read a guy's pair of by-lined gamers from the same night. Games were played at the same time in cities 50-to-75 miles away. He was two places at once, apparently. I have a problem with that.
    Had quotes from both games, but had phoned a coach at one. To his credit, he also shot photos at the contest he actually attended. Input?

Finally, what is proper reference? 3-pointer or three-pointer. I'm seeing a lot of both.

Thanks.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

1. If you are quoting a nameless fan, I assume you are making it up. If the fan has such a great quote, take a second and ask his name.

2. I don't have a problem with a writer having a byline from two games if he wrote the story based on calls or whatever. Shouldn't have a dateline for both.

3. 3-pointer or three-pointer is totally a style issue. I prefer 3-pointer.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Basically, Ace wrote mine for me.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ace. The quote actually added to the story. The fan was sympathetic to the team's struggles. But, the reporter wasn't at the game. It was obvious most of the information was gathered at a practice session.

I neglected to mention both stories were datelined. Which bugged me the most.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

People, and almost all places, are not nameless. They have names.

"Unidentified" would be the appropriate term to use.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Noted.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why do we never get an answer when we're knocking at the door?

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The second story, if it is just a phoner, should only be credited with a "staff report" or something else. You put your name on it, and I would assume you were there and the facts are yours. There needs to be some indication that the reporter/writer was not in attendance.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No byline on a game you didn't attend.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

False datelines drive me crazy. It's intellectual dishonesty at best and flat-out lying at worst.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Because the truth is hard to swallow.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I prefer this route, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted