1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for car guys/gals

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoCalDude, Apr 10, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Or if you live in a flat area. Hills call for bigger engines.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Even with that turbocharged 4, the Explorer/Edge/Escape mileage isn't great. And as was pointed out, you'd be paying for premium on top of it.

You could save 10 grand and get the same interior/cargo dimensions and fulltime all-wheel drive with a Subaru Forester. And 32 mpg highway.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I checked some other sources after SoCalDude said the salesman claimed it ran on regular. Ford's data sheet for media says it runs on regular, although I'm not sure if it means it will run on regular but best on premium. My old Nissan specified premium but would run on regular, but it got worse mileage and ran shitty.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was a scarcity of used cars on the market in the time after the financial crisis (as people hung on to their cars longer). As recently as a few months ago used car prices were still quite inflated. Not sure if that's still the case.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The cash for clunkers program and the recession combined to create an atmosphere where there was a very low supply of used cars on the market. Doesn't take an economic genius to figure out what that did to used car values. Which is why buying a new car stopped being such a lousy investment.

When new cars were only a couple thousand more than a two-year-old model with 40,000 miles on it, and you combine that with 0 percent financing (which you won't get in a used car), it was actually a better buy to go new if you had to finance. I know there are quite a few models that still offer 0 percent financing right now.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Exactly.

www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/specifications/engine/

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're not getting 0 percent financing. They may call it 0 percent financing, but money cannot be borrowed for free. You're paying for the cost of that capital somewhere in there.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Unless you have the cash to pay off the vehicle and there's no prepayment penalty on the loan. Then you got to make some interest off your money for a year or so. But this is not usually a consideration for us journalists.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I saw that page a couple of days ago regarding premium gas. I saw another one the next day regarding regular.
    It seems that in the hype, all car manufacturers list the top level of performance using premium and running at the most efficient, precise RPMs. As with any performance claims, it won't be as good in real life.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I still have the window sticker saying my truck will get 28 MPG highway.

Following the ethanol mandate, I'm lucky to get 22.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I have an 08 Wrangler and love it. Only wish I had time to actually take it off road. Once it's paid off it will get the full treatment and become strictly an off road vehicle. Until then I still need a vehicle for work. Although an SUV is not a requirement for work, after driving a tiny little hatchback and followed by a grandpa car, it felt so good to drive something that I fit comfortably in and fit my age bracket. Plus, for where I was when I got it, 4x4 is so beneficial during the winter. Only thing that sucks about my Jeep is taking it on long drives, your ass will fall asleep, and it is a pig, although I believe mileage has supposedly improved a lot in more recent models. But I love it and highly reccomend at least looking at one. They're built to last and damn, they're cool. Also, you can get them with all the creature comforts, regular gas is fine, and if you need the space, there is a four door version available. Plus when the sun is out, you pop the roof off and you're set -- my Jeep has two flaps over the front seats like a t-roof without the bar, that come off in about 30 seconds.

Draft saved Draft deleted