1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for car guys/gals

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoCalDude, Apr 10, 2013.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Haven't driven any of the new SUVs and don't plan to. Just not my thing, but different strokes for different folks.
    But I share the concern about turbo 4s in a larger vehicle. Not just in SUVs, but any heavier vehicle. I'd worry about the added strain on the engine. Plus I've read how such vehicles don't get the advertised few economy, due to the little turbo having to work so hard to pull that weight.
    Is it possible to get an Explorer without the MyFord touchscreen junk? That system has been loudly and strongly panned by many, though I'm assuming you get used to it.
    Personally, I would suggest going to your local Mazda dealership.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Isn't a SoCal guy asking for car advice sort of like an Ethiopian asking about marathon advice?

The topic just kind of tickled my funny bone a little.

3. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Whatever you do, buy used. I'll never buy new again because of the overpriced crap out there. Demos are the deal.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I disagree. The used market was so inflated (haven't looked recently) that you could get new for almost the same price as a low-mileage used. When you factor in financing and can get 0%, it can be a better deal financially. There are too many variables to simply say always buy one or the other.

5. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Still, when you drive it off the lot, it drops anywhere from 30 to 50 percent of what you've financed.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Yeah, that cracked me up.

Thing is, cars are so much different now. I used to know cars and engines inside out. Now, you can't even find the engine. And because I keep 'em 10-plus years, technology and other things change so much.
    A few years ago, my kid's first car was a VW Beetle. Cool car, just the right size and power for a newbie driver. We got a good deal on it from a friend who was moving to Europe. It was a used car so I didn't know much about the prior maintenance. One day I bought air filters for all of our cars. I went to put the new one into the VW and I couldn't fucking find it. I got the owner's manual out, looking for instructions. I examined the engine trying to figure out where I thought it might be. And it turned out that in order to replace the air filter, you had to take the battery out. German engineering?? Hell with that.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would not buy anything these days without test driving a Hyundai first.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

That depends on what the used market is like. The huge value drops are not anywhere akin to what they were even five years ago.

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I'm on a business trip and rented a Kia Sorrento last night. Driven it about 50 miles so far and really like it. I am not an SUV guy, though I've owned them.

I am a car guy, though, and the only thing to worry about with an I-4 engine these days is resale value, which for you is not an issue. And the Ford EcoBoost I-4 is awesome. You'll be able to buy one cheaper, and maintain it cheaper than a V-6 or V-8.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And the make and model you buy. My 2006 Jeep Wrangler is actually worth about the same as the day I bought it. And that's not even counting the after-market accessories I've added like a lift kit, bigger tires, off-road bumpers and extra lights.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cash for Clunkers took millions of used cars off the market, and periodic gas price spikes drove demand for smaller cars. Not hard to imagine what that did for used car prices.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Last year I saw a 7 yr old Porsche Cayenne (?) (the SUV) for $20,000+ on the lot where I bought my sedan, unbelievable. Yet, the maintenance costs are huge so kinda makes sense.

A 4 seems small, but for our Sienna minivan, its fine although struggles a bit when the van's packed, but really, how many times does that happen? Very rare

Draft saved Draft deleted