1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions at press conferences

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackInTheBox, Feb 4, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

What great comment is your superior knowledge going to get that anyone else couldn't get? It's fucing sgning day. The coach will tell you it's his best class ever, they're all great students, blah blah blah.

Never heard any coach say anything else about a bunch of kids who have never set foot on a college football field and are nothing but "prospects."

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Even if the comments and reaction from the head coach are straight out of the media playbook issued by the SID? Is that the probing analysis your readers are fiending for?

"This is the best recruiting class we've signed..."

"This kid could be one of the best in the nation at his position..."

"I'm pleased with this group of young men..."

"They'll get it done in the classroom and on the field..."

"A solid group of citizens/student-athletes..."

Clam up during the presser and then get the good stuff in one-on-one time. If you've "done your homework" not only on the recruits but on the beat, the coach will respect you enough to sit down with you personally. Period.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Spnited, some of those guys also have tremendous upside. Some of them may be able to contribute from day one, even. A couple others, you won't hear much about them this year, but they could be sleepers someday who help win some ball games.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon, FH, he said he's been at this a long time. Of course he's become a pro at being a martyr...after all, he works at it and others don't.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Dude, I'm sorry. This little typo is hilarious.

But FH is right, as are most who aren't wringing their hands over it, have found alternate solutions, and offered those solutions to you. It just seems you're disappointed this didn't turn into the Crusade Against TV/Radio People.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Dammit Marty, I fixed that before anyone else noticed, or so I thought!

7. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Except when you have to use peanut butter to get it out of your hair. I just hate that. Man, it's such a pain.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I've seen this too, but you have to be careful that the coach/manager is understanding. I'd hate to think the coach feels like he is wasting his time sitting there with no questions because of a petty little squabble among the media.

Whoever mentioned this earlier hit it on the head: Don't worry about getting scooped by TV on 90 percent of the stuff out there. They're only gonna run a 5-second sound bite and your story the next morning will still be much more informative.

And if you do have something that would qualify for the other 10 percent (some sort of scoop), just ask it afterward.

9. I don't think many people watch press conferences broadcast on TV, let alone on the internet.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow dude, you're really coming off like an ass.

asked and answered. live with it.

11. Jesus, spnited, are you that much of a lunkhead? Jack has to ask questions because he has stories to write, and as astute as his observations may be, he can't quote himself. Anyone who has ever been in a similar situation -- and I have -- realizes how frustrating this is. It's not about showing off how smart you are during a press conference. It's about recognizing the fact that coming up with good questions is one of the toughest things to do in this business, and access can be brutally limited in an era when so many schools are tightening it up. Your reaction is asinine and ignorant.

That said -- suck it up and deal with it, Jack. Press conferences are an open forum. If you've ever taken a quote from a question you didn't ask, you can't complain.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

to all those covering signing day tomorrow, good luck. Don't let the broadcast people mooch off your questions too much ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted