1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions at press conferences

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackInTheBox, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe it was your bowtie.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

It would be worse if the TV types asked a bunch of stupid questions and you didn't get a chance to ask yours. I've had that happen.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do get tired of folks who don't have the stones to ask a single question at news conferences, though.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Unless it's Dave Trembley after the Orioles lost 30-3 and he barges in with, "if anyone has an INTELLIGENT question, ask it." In that case, I can understand no one having the stones to ask. Even then, you still have a job to do.

5. Tim Sullivan

Tim Sullivan Member

As access contracts, and coaches and key players are available primarily or exclusively in podium situations (aired live via the NFL Network or another proprietary entity), reporters have to weigh the value of exclusivity versus the likelihood of attaining it. Sometimes, the only shot you're going to get at a newsmaker is when he's available to everyone. If your story is breaking news, post it to your web site ASAP. If you're working on something complex, the local stations may not have have the time to air it or the reporting resources to chase it. Trust your instincts and work on your relationships so that you can get the newsmaker on the phone or off the podium afterward.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

That's the newscycle we are in. I wouldn't be worried about the fanboi sites. I wouldn't call them competition. As for TV, so what if they use a quote during the 6 or 11 p.m. news? You should be able to put it in better context than their 5 second soundbite. If you're really pissed about TV scooping you with a quote, then transcribe it and write a quick few graphs for a web update or BLOG! post.

In terms of being pissed that other people use answers to my questions, I'd say it depends on the situation and what type of story you are working on. If you are asking general preview stuff about the stud on the opposing team or how the teams matchup, it shouldn't matter who uses it. However, if you have a scoop and ask a question or are working on a feature and someone else tries to piggyback the idea, then that's not cool. I'd say pregame / media day/ afternoon pressers are different than post game ones with tight deadlines. With post game ones does it really matter if you ask coach what he though about Tommy Baller hitting the game-winning shot? Everyone is going to use that quote, and everyone is probably going to ask that question. It's just a matter of who speaks up first.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

it doesn't ... this is an issue that faces a lot of beat guys ... i'm guessing most of the people reacting negatively to your post haven't covered a pro or major college beat ... that's the SportsJournalists.com way -- if you don't understand a thread or can't relate, just insult the guy raising the issue

anyway, your only shot is getting the info from an assistant coach if available or getting 1-on-1s as often as possible with the head coach ... even if it's just 60 seconds with the guy on the way back to his office, you can get what you need ... talk to the SID if you have a good relationship with him ... or just grab the coach on the way out ...

but don't stop asking questions entirely ... ask nuts & bolts stuff that's gonna get asked anyway at the presser and save the 1-on-1 for two or three quick, important things that you want to ask in front of everybody

no good beat writer asks his most important questions at a presser. you find another way

8. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

You mean the self-proclaimed experts here don't actually work in the field? I'm shocked.

I'm no spring chicken with this. I understand everything you say and try to do it whenever I can. Those opportunities just aren't always available. That's when the frustration sets in.

This Wednesday, on national signing day, I'm going to have good questions to ask because I've done my homework on all 20-plus players slated to sign with my school. And many other media in the room, most of whom have not done their homework, will receive a free gift.

Just a little frustrating, that's all.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

You might try asking your questions using only lingo that was popular during the 1920s.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Coach, Jeremy Goodwin, Podunk Press. I hear next year's fish are the bee's knees, the cat's pajama's, how do you think they will stack to last year's birds? Will the big six on defense give opponents the heebie-jeebies?

http://local.aaca.org/bntc/slang/slang.htm

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Here's another option that works for me, sort of: Rather than identifying myself when I ask the question -- and make an ass of myself -- I've covered my team long enough and well enough that the head coach starts most answers by saying my name, "Well, Joe, ..." So all the cameras record THAT, too. Indirect pub for my paper and me.

It doesn't solve the problem but it lessens the annoyance, making sure the TV goof doesn't get credit for asking.

(Maybe you could ask your coach to do that, if you're on good enough terms. Lot of them respect the beat folks more than those who air-drop in.)

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Good idea, Joe, but can't TV just edit out your name when the coach mentions you?

Draft saved Draft deleted