1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questionable Super Bowl audio

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Feb 1, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Did anyone else happen to notice this---everyone over at my house tonight agreed---it was often hard to hear Al Michaels and John Madden very well.

NBC really had the crowd audio feed amped up the whole night, probably some ploy to make fans at home think the game was more exciting than it was, when it didn't need it. I can't imagine too many viewers leaving that game early tonight.

Anybody else notice this?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Quustionable Super Bowl audio

Hmm, didn't notice that. But there's only two people at my house tonight and no other idiots screaming or talking during the game. We heard them just fine.

3. clutchcargo

That could be, Buck. We did have some active pre-teens in the room much of the time, but even when I turned the volume way up to compensate, the "ratio" of crowd audio to announcers' audio still seemed pretty high.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't notice it either. Normally you could suspect something fishy with a loud SB crowd, 'cause they're usually not very loud, but this was a Pittsburgh game. So I'd believe a fair amount of noise.

Plus Michaels and Madden aren't loud crazies either, unlike some announcing teams. And they were great tonight, imo.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Could it have been the stereo setting on your TV? When I use it on mine, I can barely hear the announcers, especially during a high-def game. When I turn it off it's fine, and I don't have speakers around the room, so I don't really miss anything.

6. clutchcargo

Johnny D---that could be an issue, although I don't remember adjusting the stereo setting. I don't even know if I can. I did manage to hear most of what Michaels and Madden said and I agree with playthrough that M&M nailed it tonight, like they usually do. Hard to dispute that they are the geratest football duo ever. Ever.

7. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

The audio has been messed up on Sunday Night football the entire season, at least on my TV.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A few times I thought I heard a whistle during a play.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Had no problem with it.

Then again, I wasn't really watching it.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Were you guys listening in surround sound or even simulated surround?
    That's usually the problem.
    If you've got a simple TV with 2 speakers, never ever set it to surround.
    If your stereo system is in surround, make sure it's set up right.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I dunno, but I thought the sound on the Springsteen set, especially the vocals, were rather muddy. And I've got a money TV sound setup.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Odd...sounded great to me on the simple speakers on my TV (setting stereo up Tuesday)

Draft saved Draft deleted