1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Yeah, I agree with you there. I like having someone edit my stuff....I think I'd just like to look over what he's edited first, but I understand that's not going to be possible on deadline like this one.

And to give the guy who edited this story some credit, he has saved me on previous stories.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wonder if when he saved you on those previous stories he:

A. Bitched about you to another co-worker
    B. Went on to an industry message board, posted your work and proceeded to rip you

Hmmm.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Far better said and far less inflammatory ... made your point well, Gola...

4. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Sneed,
    To answer your question. I would've simply emailed the copy editor and told him/her, politlely as possible, that you appreciated all the times they saved you in the past and will undoubtedly save you in the future. But in this particular instance you were disappointed because not only did they add a word to your lead that was unncessary, they put in the wrong spot. But you understand he was on on deadline and he was only trying to help, etc.

I don't think you would've gotten nearly the negative feedback you've received in this thread if you would've posed the question (how would you guys have handled it?) without including the specific lede. Because you're right, two seconds of Googling and we could know where you work and who you work with --- so you basically outed a guy that you admit has saved your butt before.

5. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Thanks. This is really all I was looking for. Outing the guy might have been a mistake, but hardly a career-ender. A reporter in his office told me he's been cussed out for all to hear more times than she can remember for mistakes just like the one I mentioned here. He's a nice guy, but not the best editor. Such is life.

But all I really wanted was advice must like I got right here. So seriously, thanks again chilidog. I'm going to email him tomorrow.

Dunzo with this thread, see you somewhere else folks.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I would have edited the word "dunzo" to something slightly less ridiculous. But that's just me.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hey, fuck you pal. Don't you ever touch my writing. I am almighty Sneed!

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Asshole copy editor ...

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If the sentence were edited to "when you're typing through tears," I'd say get over it. If it were "when typing through your tears"? I'd suggest gently bringing it up with the copy editor, but if I were the copy editor, I'd probably tell you where you can stuff your comment if you come with an attitude.

If the sentence really were edited to "when typing your through tears," I'd definitely point it out. It could be a mistake of transposing one word, which should obviously be corrected. But if the desker did that deliberately, I'd suggest using his head as a bowling ball.

The desker edited it to "when your typing through tears"? Your in that case makes no sense. I wouldn't have a problem with "you're" being added if the desker can explain why.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on, dude, he's dunzo.

11. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I've got an editor who can read either a nine-inch news story or a 24-inch feature and have it on the page in three minutes or less. It's amazing, really.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Man, TP and Gola, you know you're my boys, but come the fuck on. Are you seriously ripping this kid to shreds? Lay off.

Sneed,
    I've fucked up four names in a single story, I've called a guy *John Smith when his name was *Rick Scott, I've screwed up numbers, etc. etc. etc. And every time a copy editor fucks with one of my stories poorly, I want to kill the guy. But at the end of the day, like others have said, you're on the same team. Sometimes it doesn't feel that way. Sometimes there are changes for the sake of changes.

But remember, just like you are trying to put out a perfect story, so are they. I would've been furious, too, particularly about a story I cared much for, award-winner or otherwise. But next time, I would either talk to the editor about getting phone calls on lede-changing, or I'd tell the copy editor there was a mistake, and ask if there's anything you can do next time.

Also, "his unquenchable love for the American game of basketball..." that's a little much. Try not to use unquenchable.

*Not the actual names, but honestly, just as bad. I don't even know how it happened. I just wrote down the wrong name completely.

Draft saved Draft deleted