1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question on style; I can't find it in the AP Sports Guide

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MilanWall, Apr 17, 2007.

1. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

Why's it got to be racial on here?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Don't agree. It usage, it's pronounced "oh."

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

It's conversational. It's how people would expect to read it because they're intuned to say "Oh-for-12." Plus, it's an "oh-fer" not a "zero-fer."

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm much more definite about the last two being wrong than I am about "a" vs. "an."

"RBI-single" ... nope. Favorite pet peeve of a copy editor, right up there with "second-straight victory."

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Too much hyphenation is a bane of our biz.

My understanding, finally in my late 40s, that there are few absolutes about hyphenation, and that less is best, has made editing life much easier on that front.

6. I agree that's how we pronounce it, but that doesn't make it right.
    A lot of people will say "could care less," when it's "couldn't care less." Or they say "try and" instead of "try to." Or "supposeably." Or any number of other things.
    I'm not saying I'm necessarily right. I'm just saying I don't think you can look at something written and say, "Well, this is how we would say it, so let's write it that way."

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

RE: hyphenation ... Seems as though half the questions each night on the desk are whether something should be hyphenated. AP is attempting to reduce hyphenations. One of the rules of thumb I use now is, if you can't decided whether it should be hyphenated, then don't hyphenate it.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Except in this case -- and not the others -- "an" seems more correct.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Exactly.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

LOL!

Draft saved Draft deleted