1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question on online pricing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Apr 30, 2012.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Lee dropped the other shoe today and is going with pay-for-online at my local paper (Glens Falls, NY).

(I am guessing it will be corporate-wide.)

Here is my question.

It's $6.95 a month if you do not have a print subscription.

It's $1.95 a month if you have a paid print-edition subscription.

Maybe I am not paying enough attention, but I though most (if not all) papers gave basic online access away with a print subscription.

I am talking basic Internet access, not I Phone or other mobile apps.

Thanks.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Print customers are getting hosed. I wouldn't pay for online access to most local papers until those papers designed a decent website.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

It is an excellent website, I will say that.

This was a terrific 30,000 daily until Lee started the cuts.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm no marketing expert, but that's dumb. It will create unnecessary work in having to deal with setting up the online subscriptions for people who already have print subscriptions, and it will piss off print subscribers who have to pay more and jump through more hoops to get the online version of the print product they already are paying for.

Why not just raise prices a few bucks across the board, include free online access to all print subscribers and offer online subscriptions for a couple bucks a month?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It seems as if most of the sports content on a Lee website is agate, which hasn't been formatted for the Web. At least that's what I've run across with Lee papers out West.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That is not at all true here.

This is a terrific newspaper sports web site with a lot of additional information that is not in the print edition.

PS: This is not the paper I work at, though I did string there and read it every day.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Someone wiser in the ways of ABC than I am tells me if there's a minimum additional charge for the website, beyond the delivery price, you get to count the subscriber twice.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The paper goes paywall today with free views. If you get a chance go read some of the 120+ comments.

http://poststar.com/news/local/post-star-to-begin-charging-for-online-content/article_8d5ed068-925b-11e1-bbf7-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=comments

Draft saved Draft deleted