1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question on high school coverage...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BadgerBeer, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

In some states, playoff games are different in terms of tickets. Those funds (at least in part) go to the state athletic association, so you're likely to find a few more gate nazis.

I know in Georgia, they issue special passes for state playoffs and tournaments.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's not about entitlement. People want and deserve to be treated like professionals. At the end of the day, that's everything you are. And some ignorant Key Club chaperone requiring payment, no matter the sum, is an insult to someone there in a working capacity.

If it's me, I'm not paying. I've dealt with these little fiefdoms in the past and I've made it very plain that there will be no payment. There are other ways to get a pair of rosters before kickoff.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

LJB, got to say I'm surprised there was any dissent with that premise. I thought that one was knocked out of the park.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you don't have some kind of credential, the "Gate-Nazi" -- who is just doing his job -- is 100% correct.
    We have company press passes with photo for all our writers as well as State issued credential that get you into any HS event in the State, except State playoff/tournament finals which require special credentials.
    Seriously, how hard is it to get a proper pass to get into games?

5. Herbert Anchovy

I see your point, shotglass. You're right. The photogs and clueless reporters will indeed come back with that excuse and it's unacceptable. No matter what happens, you need to get the rosters and get it done. Ask the radio guys. Ask one of the student trainers. But I also think it's OK to be stubborn and not give into this, because some of the people working these tables are total buffoons.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

So why stoop to their level, if they're such buffoons? Just plop down the money and know that a) you're a better man than the guy at the gate, and b) you'll get your two bits back from the company.

(Addendum: If there's a question as to whether you'd get your two bits back from the company, then you've got bigger problems than a little gate-Nazi.)

7. Herbert Anchovy

I would hope no one has that problem, now or ever.

8. Garner

Garner Member

If I can't attend the high school game, I can't attend the high school game. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about high school. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise beat writer, and we're talking about high school. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about high school, not a pro game, not a minor league game, not a college game, but we're talking about high school. Not the beat that I go out there and die for and write every gamer like it's my last but we're talking about high school man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about high school. We're talking about high school man. We're talking about high school. We're talking about high school. We're not talking about the pros. We're talking about high school. When you come to the field, and you see me working, you've seen me work right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about high school right now.

:)

9. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Good thing no one has a superiority complex or anything.

I happen to love covering high school athletics. Sorry if that doesn't make me as cool as you.

As for the topic at hand, why didn't you just ask for the AD. You'd already called the school. It's not that hard to ask (politely) to speak to someone with more authority.

Heaven forbid we behave with dignity instead of like entitled, self-important brats.

10. Ding! I think we have a winner.

If some idiot at a pass gate gives you shit (bear in mind you should be carrying a press pass), just plunk down the $3 or $4 or whatever it is and get reimbursed by your boss. Is that money going to cause you to skip dinner that night? C'mon, even journalists aren't paid THAT badly.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Dude, if your workplace made you pay to use the pisser and softened it by saying you'd be reimbursed at month's end, would you so cheerfully plunk down the money?

Fuck no.

12. Better to plunk down the money than act like an ass at the pass gate and give people another reason to hate our profession.

Draft saved Draft deleted