1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for you

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This was a conversation I overheard as an intern.

"Writer X just called. He was knocked over by another car in the parking lot at the game. He's OK, but his arm is probably broken. He's going to the ER for X-Rays."

Slot guy: So, he's not writing?

2. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Priorities are family and then your job. Any buffoon that doesn't understand that isn't worth working for. Luckily, my boss understands that. As a staff we always pitch in and do a little extra to pick up the slack when someone has a family emergency. It's just what you do. Then again, we're a small family owned shop and the four sports guys have worked together 13 years.

3. punch em in the throat

4. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Bingo.

What kills me is this: Had Palmetto's bosses replaced that crassness with just basic decency, it would have engendered a ton of goodwill (I'm guessing).

I was in a bad wreck on the interstate a month ago: broken ribs, bruised spleen, other assorted injuries. The way my shop responded was just tremendous. Lots of daily visitors at the hospital, then after I went home, my coworkers organized a meals-on-wheels program to take some of the pressure off my saintly wife. Just a fantastic outpouring of support, and one I won't forget. I'll damn sure be reciprocating when someone else is in need.

About midway through my recuperation (I returned to work this week), my wife started a new job. Her trainer, knowing about my accident, told her: "Take your time getting up to speed. You don't need work to be another source of stress right now." That's class, if you ask me.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Sure is. Glad to hear you're better (or at least good enough to go to work) and that people actually helped you and your family.

6. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Thanks, Jake. The ribs are still a bit bothersome, but this too shall pass. Before the accident, I had no idea that broken ribs were so painful -- a situation exacerbated by the fact that the remedy is basically to wait until they heal. Thank God for hospital-prescribed narcotics.

7. I'm fortunate to be at a place that understands the importance of family. They'll work me hard, but when something comes up with the wife/kid/my health they're very understanding and will even encourage me to take any time need.

Like someone else said, that builds loyalty and good will.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've been known to tell people flat out that personal emergencies are far more important than the work they do for my paper.

I had a woman who has Chron's Disease as one of my student writers. She e-mailed me to tell me she was missing an assignment because it flared up on her. I immediately told her that her health was far more important than writing a story for the paper. Plus, I wished her a speedy recovery. Of course, I immediately went to research Chron's Disease.

I later found out she'd check out of the hospital, go cover something and write a story for me, then check back into the hospital. I didn't realize she went through all that. She only "missed" the one assignment. And she's one of my better writers.

Soulless fucks can go to hell.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't think that you still won't get fucked by the higher ups.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's what I was wondering, too.

These threads always turn into everybody screaming "SOULLESS BASTARDS!!!!" without all the facts being known.

Did you call your co-workers to tell them, "Hey, I had to take my wife to the ER. Can you cover for me? My pictures can be found . . . "?

Or did you just take her, say nothing to anyone, and just come back to work after your deadline had passed without anyone knowing where you were?

Maybe they are soulless bastards. But the jury is still out until all the facts come in.

Sometimes we forget that our actions affect a lot of people. Miss deadline on something, and perhaps the pressroom and circulation departments put the hammer down and move deadlines up for everyone permanently.

11. Why, you know something I don't?

My previous paper was horrible about this kind of stuff. The editor would try to change your mind when you called in sick that the reporters started calling in sick to one another. "Write-Brained called in sick to me b/c your line was busy, boss." And then the key was not to answer the phone, which who wants to do anyway when you're at home with a fever and throwing up.

As far as people fucking you, I've learned from this past paper to document everything. It's not full-proof (it's not likely to keep your job if the paper can't afford you anymore) but it cuts out the he-said/she-said.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

documentation means nothing. If you are not wanted, they will find a way to get you out. NO ONE is indispensable.

Draft saved Draft deleted