1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for veteran APSE judges

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Love_Sports, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

i'm judging the APSE contest this year for the first time and am looking forward to it in many ways. but i did have one question for those who have done it before.

while i know that judging is what i'm there for, how much free time will there be? i have friends/family in the area, so would it be worth it making plans with them? getting a rental car? etc.

thanks for the help.

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

When I went last year, I flew down on Thursday and used Friday to do an interview for a story. When I was done, I took my rental car and drove to Cocoa Beach.
    As for during the judging, yes, there is some free time.
    You could see if they can come to the hotel and then go out for dinner.
    Or stay a day later.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Unfortunately, it's somewhat dependent on what you judge, and you won't know that yet.

I always found time for some personal stuff, though. Depends on how far family is, etc.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Since you're a first-timer, you will probably be invited to the Saturday evening dinner with the officers.

As far as free time, you will have plenty. Thank your lucky stars you're going to California and not Blowlando Kissimmee.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

if you are judging Sunday Sections, under 40,000, better bring a sleeping bag so you can bunk down in the judging room.
    That one's a monster.
    If you are doing a writing category, you can do it by the pool.

6. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

First of all, welcome to APSE judging. You'll learn an awful lot in the four days you judge and, hopefully, you'll grab one or two things you like and make it a part of your section. I'm assuming you're one of the 40-and-under editors that APSE brings in to help judge? Anyhow, there is a bit of free time but as folks here have said, it depends on what you get. There's usually some "homework" every group has to do.

Having said that, you'll have fun. Saturday night is a casual reception following the general meeting, which is where judging assignments are handed out. The dinner someone spoke of is Monday night. The current officers, past presidents and the newcomer judges we bring in have a dinner together that's really a treat. It's something former secretary/treasurer Ed Storin started a few years back and it's been a tremendous success. Be prepared to stand before everyone and talk about yourself and our profession. And be prepared to hear some old hands like me tell stories that are way too long!

But have a great time at judging and go with an open mind to learn. You'll work with some great folks and get a lot of tips.

Draft saved Draft deleted