1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for those who earned a master's degree and did a thesis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I have a question regarding the wisdom of staying on campus for the semester when one is doing the thesis, as oppose to getting back into the real world.

If you can help, please PM me. '

Thanks.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

When you are about to give birth, and you will be doing that minus the goo and the support system, you go to the maternity ward.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Be cool. Stay in school.

(NB to LJB: I produced unusable rhetorical goo by the unusable rhetorical goobucketful when I was trying to write mine.)

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

jgmacg, I cannot stomach to read my own. It is a piece of shit. My mentor said to be made to understand that as an ass-end, by-product of the process. Maybe the final stage ... that so much more was to be mastered and learned.

Aside from this journo board at times, the defense itself is as close to a firing squad as you'll ever get. That deconstruction is part of it, too.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm glad I have my master's, and I'm glad I wrote my thesis, but there's no goddamn way I would do it again.

And Piotr, I lived on campus, in a sheltered residence for graduate students, and that place was the only thing that got me through. They made our beds for chrissakes, and we went to dinner all together in our gowns and ate three-course meals and did snuff after.

I didn't care much for the school part, but the living part was the best arrangement of my life. If your school has a graduate residence, I'd consider it. It's just nice to be around people who are jumping through the same hoops you are.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Just to be clear here and scrupulously honest: I never finished my Masters. Got about three-quarters through my thesis, but had to move out of town and go back to work before I finished my grad program, so I'm officially a couple of credits short. Which is OK because I never actually got my BA, either, so it was sort of miracle that I was in graduate school at all.

Of course I advise against all this for the youngsters hereabouts. Please don't do it the way I did it. Finish.

Draft saved Draft deleted