1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for the tech savvy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Nov 28, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I recently got my computer back from the shop and they installed AVG free edition anti-virus. I own Norton Antivirus, but when I went to install it, it said it was incompatible with AVG. Essentially, I have to remove AVG to install Norton. My question is, which is better? Should I install the Norton even though I have no backup of AVG?

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I like Norton better. But that is mostly a preference based on years of use.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You don't need backup of AVG -- you could download the free version off the internets, if that makes your decision any easier.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Norton is a worthless POS.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Keep AVG. Trash Norton.

Norton is a resource hog and it misses a lot that AVG will catch.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've used Norton for years and haven't had a problem (yet).

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Don't know which you have, but if you're rockin' a Mac, ditch Nortons. It's an Apple killer. Judging from how much it's slowed my parents' computer, it's not so good for PCs, either.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Norton was the king 10 years ago. Now? AVG is vastly superior, and it's free too.

9. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Norton and McAfee - massive piles of shit..

I'd rather get stuck with a virus than their programs.

10. AVG is much better in my opinion. It updates itself daily and only uses up about ten seconds of your time. I would recommend AVG to any of my friends.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I haven't used AVG, but Norton sucks.

12. ARD

ARD Member

Some people love Norton/McAfee and have no problems. I'm not one of those people. IME, Norton and McAfee are like pouring molasses into your computer: They slow it down, get into everything and are difficult to remove. If you love Norton and are sure you'll never stray (and you don't mind the performance penalty), it'll do. But AVG is cheaper (I buy the Pro version) and insinuates itself into the registry much less. I've heard many, many horror stories about uninstalling/updating trouble with Norton/McAfee (and the new Microsoft One Care, too).

Draft saved Draft deleted