1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for the college and pro beat writers among us...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigDog, Sep 27, 2007.

1. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Does anyone else get the feeling that there's a LOT of people in press conferences/conference calls/locker rooms/etc. asking questions that team PR staffs want them to ask as a diversionary tactic?

2. Can't say, but it wouldn't surprise me.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I think it's more that there are so many people from blogs, team web sites etc. that not only don't know how to ask good questions, but are basically writing PR releases.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, they're called broadcasters... ;D

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Don't know that it's some calculated preemptive strike by PR/SID staffs, but there are certainly more cronies.
    The SEC school I cover part-time this season seems to have doubled in "media" participation since I covered the same school in 2004.

6. Gil_Hicks

Gil_Hicks New Member

The last home game (D-I) I covered, the home coach was asked two questions by the former SID that's now retired. I was floored.

7. Mizzougrad96

The last time I covered a college football game, there were boosters in the postgame press conference and some of these idiots actually asked questions...

"Coach, how great does it feel to be a member of the Tiger nation today?"

I've been at hundreds of press conferences where there is an issue of the day, one where the coach might not be thrilled by the topic. The beat writers go back and forth with the coach on said topic and the coach is pulling a Belichick and saying (Can we talk about the game, etc...) and then a TV guy jumps in like he's on the team payroll and says, "Coach, focusing back on the game, can you talk about the challenges your team will face tonight?"

Drives me insane...

8. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I've honestly never covered a college football in which an SID <i>didn't</i> ask a question. And never once has said question gone without audible scoffs.

9. Mizzougrad96

In 16 years covering everything from college football to college basketball to baseball to the NFL and the NBA, I have NEVER seen a SID or PR guy ask a coach a question in a press conference unless it's "Can we have your opening remarks coach?"

10. Me too. Never heard of such a thing.

11. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Odd. I'm not saying it's been a splatterfest with an SID rambling after question after question, more just trying to get a fluff-ball for the school website or next season's media guide. Stuff like, "Coach can you talk about the impact of Random O. Lineman?"

12. Mizzougrad96

I believe you. I've seen guys who write for the team's website ask that kind of shit, but never the SID or PR guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted