1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for the Canadians

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cadet, May 19, 2007.

1. WSKY

WSKY Member

It was supposed to be confusing.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Well, for the publication I work for, you need to specifically find out what type of peoples they are.
    Are they aboriginal, mikmaq, cree? Also, you need to be careful that you are not classifying people into wrong categories. I was covering a human rights commission case here and one paper put down the woman was aboriginal, but her lawyer took exception and told the writer that she is mikmaq and that is how she should be referred as...I did not even know something like that could cause an issue.

On another note, chazp, if you come to the Maritimes and say "Ay", you will have a herd of beer drinking burly people from NFLD and Nova Scotia dunk you in a huge beer keg. I would say that around George Street in NFLD or in the downtown core of Halifax. If you say "eh" though, you will get intiated as an official newfie on George Street and Haligonians will offer to buy you a beer. ;D

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

It was a joke - you pointed out all the people on both sides of the border who say "eh" so I thought I'd throw in a "huh" just to be different.

Okay, eh? :)

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Two points ...

1. CP style dictates you use the word 'native,' not 'aboriginal.' Out west, we often refer to natives as 'First Nations.'

2. No Newfie worth his salt says 'eh.' He ends his sentences with 'right' (pronounced roight) or a term of endearment for the person to whom he is speaking, i.e. 'buddy,' 'ma luv,' or 'me ducky.'

5. Cansportschick

Flash, Newfie do say "eh". I know quite a lot of them and they do say it. I have heard some say me ducky, but some non Newfies that I know use that term too. Obviously, you and I don't know the same Newfies.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

7. Cansportschick

Maybe the newfies I know are more modernized with the times or something, bizarre ;D

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Me ducky?

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Aye and it's lovely to see the 20-somethings assimilating mainland culture. The Newfs are the ones who broke me of the 'eh' habit. And I thank them for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted