1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for our Canadian friends

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chained2thedesk, Sep 22, 2006.

1. A friend of mine purchased an NHL jersey for me in Hamilton and wants to ship it to me in the States.

It cost $150 U.S.

Now I know he'll pay postage to send it here, but will I get charged some sort of duty tax?

Should he lie to the Canada Post people and say it's a gift worth $25?

Do the same rules apply if I buy him a Peyton Manning jersey and ship it to Ontario.

Just wondering. Any help would be appreciated.

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

If he bought you a hockey jersey, he obviously ain't a very good friend.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

On the customs form, put "used clothing". Value $10. Make sure you remove the tags and turn it inside out - not that they'll open it.

Probably worth Fedexing it. They go through so much stuff so quickly, it won't hang around long enough for anyone to be even remotely curious.

But you didn't get that here. ;-)

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Would the Manning jersey have a tight collar, for choking?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why did you even click on this thread? You're not a Canadian and I can't believe that you're anybody's friend, so it really doesn't apply to you in any way, shape or form.

Now go the fuck away. Bad puppy. Next time you're getting the newspaper across the nose.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you're shipping it from Canada to the U.S., it's U.S Customs you have to worry about, not Canada Post.
    You may have to pay duty but the customs people will see right through "gift under $25.00" or "used clothing"

7. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Another witty retort. It's not quite the standard of JR's "Fuck Off," so keep trying.

Draft saved Draft deleted