1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for NYSJ.com about LaGuardia Airport

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 8, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So I'm flying to Guatemala for a wedding next Thursday and, since I saved about $400, I'm flying out of LaGuardia (about a 3 hr. drive from Bigpern Central).

It looks like it will cost me about $100 to park there for the eight days. I looked into taking trains in and it seems like a clusterfuck that isn't worth the $40 savings anyway.

I was thinking of staying with a cousin on Long Island, but I'm not sure he could drive me to the airport (probably has to work) and I can't seem to figure out how to catch a rail from Islip to LaGuardia.

I'm pretty fed up with trying to figure all this crap out, so I was wondering if anyone knows if there are parking garages near the airport (I don't mind a walk or a taxi) that won't run me a C-Note for the eight days.

I might just drop the $100, but since I'm a broke-ass journalist, I'm trying to see if there are any cheaper options.
  2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

First off, LaG is ten minutes from my place.

There are no trains that run to LaGuardia. Not the LIRR, not a subway. The best you can hope for is to take a cab to the airport. Parking garages are going to kill you no matter what.
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can he park the car in your yard while you drive him to the airport? :)
  4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yard? I have concrete surrounding my building. Only yard nearby is Shea...hey, can he pitch? Maybe the Wilpons will let him park in their yard.
  5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Honestly, I would save yourself the hassle and just park there. You can park STEPS from the airport, and the lots are never full. Because of the uncrowded convenience, I call LaGuardia parking one of the best bargains in New York.
  6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Active Member

Tried to take the train to LGA one time.....Metro North to Grand Central, 7 train to Queens, Taxi to the airport. Indeed a cluster. Kennedy tho does have the airtrain.
  7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Anything other than parking at LGA is a clusterfuck unless you park at your cousins and he can drive you. But then you have factor in drive time and traffic .

Spend the money. Best off site parking is Avistar - They shuttle you to airport - about 5 minutes away

Here is link :
    http://www.avistarparking.com/ with AAA discount I think its $20 per day

Its cheaper than the airport and car is protected

Hotels around area sometimes have some deals if they have capacity - stay one night and and park for the week . There is a marriot and a Clarion that are right there.
  8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The most expensive part of my bargain trip to NY last July was getting to and from LaGuardia. We rented a car upon arrival for a trip to Niagara Falls and Cooperstown.

My old man was insistent on driving the rental back to the hotel in Manhattan (never having done it before), then back to LGA, then back to the hotel in a taxi. We flatly refused, because it sounded dumb. Good thing too.. it was the day the steam pipe blew.

LGA is cheap, but the sucky thing about it is finding an inexpensive way to get where you're going.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, $100 for eight days sounds like a bargain.
  10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Guatemala? For a wedding?
  11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Agreed 100%. Any time you can park at/near a major city airport for under $15/day is a friggin' steal. If it'll help you feel better, think of how dirt cheap Guatemala's gonna be top-to-bottom.
  12. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Got something agains Guatemalan weddings 21? Perhaps a story of how Lou and Linzee got lost looking for bridal bannanas or something (I hope)
Draft saved Draft deleted