1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

question for my sj.com brethren

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jul 11, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

shockey, before I commit or not... open bar?

2. Put the shoe on the other foot.

How would the wife feel, Shockey, if you told her she had to take your kids to the game while you went to the party alone? Or vice versa? My wife prefers not to go to events without me and I would probably feel guilty for missing my kid's game.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but your kid has no athletic talent... maybe theirs do. ;D

4. Hey now, she's got daddy's hand-eye coordination - nearly hit her blue sparkly ball over the backyard fence the other day.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's what i said to the mrs. "what if it was someone else's party and our son was playing?" her reply was i'd go to the game and she would go to the party and i'd join her asap.

i get that. this isn't a wedding where maybe you'd feel funny coming separately. sriously, husbands and wives arrive separately due to these things all the time in our circle. whatever, i suppose.

everyone raises their kids differently. i suppose we've chosen to raise our kids to know the entire family doesn't revolve around them. we have lives, too. whatever.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pity she was aiming at the house in the other direction

7. Good thing I like you, Slap.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I gotta say, the kid comes first, especially if the other choice is a party.

And I'm baffled why anyone would be offended about someone coming late to a party, unless it involves a sit-down dinner. (Not being rude here, I honestly just don't understand it, but I'm probably missing something.)

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If the party is 7 to 11, who cares what time they show up? World doesn't revolve around you, sparky. No one is required to be there the entire time. Sounds like they remain committed to the party by coming fashionably late.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Shockey, since it doesn't sound like a sit-down dinner, there will be people arriving throughout the whole party.

Surely you didn't expect all 50 to show up at 7:00? Then you'd have 8 people left by 11:00

And Moddy's right. The kids grow up real quickly. Trust me on this .

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

i appreciate all sentiments. mrs. shockey overreacted. she stopped by the joint for final arrangements at the end of the day and they told her we can have the place until midnight, so she's much cooler now.

shockey nation is secure. thanks everybody. ;D

p.s. -- i know all about how quickly they grow. my boys are 17, 14 and 12. this will be a blast. 8)

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I won't be there til 11 now.

Draft saved Draft deleted