1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

question for my sj.com brethren

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jul 11, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm throwing myself a 50th birthday bash on friday night from 7 p.m.-11 p.m. at a place in town. 50-55 of our friends are coming. it's going to be swell.

but about 15-20 have just told us they'll be almost 2 hours late because they have an 11- or 12-year-old playing in a summer little league game. the mrs. is a bit miffed, thinking that since they've already committed to be at the party, perhaps one half of the couple could be there for the entire party while the other half goes to the game ad gets there late.

me? i don't really care, but i understand her concern that this party is costing us a pretty penny.and she'd like folks to get our money's worth out of the food and open bar.

i'm sure she's getting over it, but i was wondering about everyone's thoughts. are parents too wrapped up in their kids' games? or are we not wrapped up enough?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

First question: How far in advance did you tell them of the party?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Second question: Why didn't any of us get invited?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Follow-up to the second question: dick!

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

sorry if anyone's feeling hurt, but this is for townies only. :(

the invites went out the second week of june. rsvp's were needed by last friday. news of the game/time came monday.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm a big believer in arriving with my wife to an event that we are both going to. It does happen sometimes that we arrive separately, but I would prefer that not happen.

Since you have an open bar the couple, if arriving separately, won't be able to fully utilize it anyway.

The other factor is the game. How far in advance did they learn about their kid's game? Is it the kid's first game of the season or his very first game ever? It is the first game the kid has ever played in, they both probably want to be there.

These things happen sometimes. It is one of the byproducts of having children.

7. i recently hosted a party for my wife's birthday as well--a good amount of people showed up an hour or two into the party due to a previous commitment. I was worried about it too, but it actually was nice--almost a like having a second wave of people come and give new life to the party. It will be fine--you guys will have a blast

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So after the RSVP, they all called and said "we'll come after little Timmy's game"?
    Look at the bright side, maybe they'll all strikeout and make errors.

The timing was right -- you gave them a month's notice...
    Keep her drunk... she'll never know...

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As a guy who missed way too many of my kids' events because of our silly business, I say be understanding. They're only kids for so long. What I wouldn't give right now to watch my daughter knock some poor defender on her ass on her way to a goal. Or to watch my shorter than the rest son pace himself until just the right moment and then blow by the bigger, stronger kids to win the distance swim events.
    They ain't young that long.
    Oh, and f you for not inviting me. My kids are grown, gone, no events to go to anymore, I woulda been there.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Just to get this straight - these people RSVP'd yes and then later called and said they'd be 2 hours late?

Sounds kinda rude to me, but I don't have kids.

Since it affects such a large group of people, is there any way you can start the party any later? I know it sucks to have to adjust to other people's schedules, but it made make it more enjoyable all around.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No shit... Moddy coulda made squish..

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks for the input. it's far from a first career game -- we've been to these kids games for years -- but my son isn't playing this summer. these are "all-star" kids, but it's not an elimination game. there will be more to come.

but i certainly understand not wanting to miss your kids game. mrs. shockey just wonders why both parents must be there. couples in our circle often arrive separately because of stuff like this.

but it's gonna be much fun regardless. changing the time wouldn't be fair to the 35 or so who couldn't care less about the game and also wouldn't be reasonable for the nightclub which opens it's doors at 11:30 friday night.

Draft saved Draft deleted