1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for hockey people

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Dec 28, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What does it mean when a minor-league player is signed to a Professional Tryout Contract?

Thanks

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just looking, I believe it means just a tryout. Players can't play with such a contract.

3. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

It's a 25-day or 25-gamer, I forget which exactly. After its up (if they don't get cut) I'm pretty sure they have to be picked up for the full year. Alot of times teams will do this after college seasons are over with guys that haven't been drafted.

4. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

It is a 25 game (maximum) contract (in the AHL), and teams can offer a second one --player is free to take or leave it--. By the same token, player can be released from said contract at any time (and often are). It's also not uncommon for a player to make such a strong impression that he is subsequently offered an SPC (standard player contract), whereupon they mutually agree to rip up the PTO....

Later in the year, you'll also see players signed to ATO's (amateur try outs). These would be guys whose college careers are done, or junior players getting an AHL looksee...(I know, more info than you were looking for....)

5. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

The Oilers signed a guy to an ATO this week as an emergency backup. I think the goalie can keep his CIS eligibility as long as he doesn't get into a game.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I was watching that game and thought it was pretty weird that a college player would be in that position given that he's still going to college. They interviewed his parents and you would have thought they had won the lottery.

7. well, they've been paying for their little brat to play travel (i.e. EXPENSIVE!!!!) his entire life, so in their minds, they did.

Draft saved Draft deleted