1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for hiring editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe it's more of a fashion issue.

maybe employers don't want to hire a guy who looks like a 1978 bob seger just as they wouldn't want to hire a cat who walked through the door looking like greg brady.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Here's what's funny. People on here acknowledge that there is probably some form of discrimination in the newsroom based on this guy's hair, but refuse to acknowledge that there could be discrimination in the newsroom based on race or gender. Kinda funny.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

dude, that's not discrimination. It's about someone choosing to make a fashion statement. He's free to make the choice, but has to understand that an employer may not choose him to represent their company. He'd face the same problem if he wore dangling earrings or a 1970s leisure suit.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

It's his hair. And technically, he should be able to grow it as long as he wants as long as it doesn't look like shit. If it's properly groomed, there shouldn't be a problem. But old opinions die hard, and I"m not saying I'm not one of them. Not sure how I'd feel about hiring hiring some guy with hair down to his ass. But it's still a form of discrimination.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Unless long hair has joined a protected class, choosing not to hire someone with it is not discrimination. And we work with words?

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Editude, discrimination is defined as "treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit."
    You don't have to be protected to fall into a class of discrimination. So, I guess only a couple of us work with words, Editude.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes reddick ... it's his hair and their job.

some employers believe their employees should look and like professionals. not discrimination, rather a job requirement.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Important distinction to be made here. He can choose how he wears his hair. He can't choose if he's black or Hispanic or whatever.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

hair probably not a problem for a design-copy editing job. more of a problem for a writer -- unfortunately.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

but the choice really isn't his is all I'm saying. What employer would actually tell someone, "Hey, you can have the job if you cut your hair." This ain't the Yankees.
    I'm not saying it's right or wrong. And like I said, I don't know if I'd hire some guy with hair at his ass. But, it is discrimination. That's all i'm saying.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

riddick, i really want to know how you define not hiring 1978 bob seger as discrimination.

is not hiring a cat who looks exactly like greg brady discrimination?

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I agree with that, to a certain extent.

At one stop, Saturdays were casual. So people started wearing sweats.

You shouldn't wear sweats to work, no matter what day it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted