1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for freelancers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Voodoo Chile, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

I apologize if someone has answered this question before, but I can't find it.
    If you are collecting unemployment, writing freelance and must report additional work and income each week, do you report freelance income the week you do the assignment, or the week the check comes?
    How do you handle reporting a check you received while you're collecting unemployment, for work you did before you filed?

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you report money the week you earn it, not when you collect it. at least that's the way it is in texas.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You ask them if they can pay you from the petty cash fund and keep it all.......

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

well, then there's that approach

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I have been reporting my freelance income for the time I worked, not when I receive payment for the work I have done. I am in California. Not sure how it works in other states.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I report mine in the week it was done, although one time I did fudge a bit and spread it over two weeks so as not to mess up my UI claim.

I only get paid once per month and sometimes even that is delayed (I just got paid last week for work done in February.)

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

In general, being self-employed (read: freelance) disqualifies you from collecting unemployment.

You'd better double check your state's requirements:

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/unemployment/a/unemploymentoff.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted