1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Food Writers and Foodies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Sep 10, 2015.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

It would be entertaining to have a food writer swap spots with a sports writer.
    "The Podunk quarterback saute'd the Nowheresville defense."

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Surely you aren't implying interest has topped out.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They're all going to start having kids at some point. And their interest will have to wane then, just as my generation no longer keeps up with what Trent Reznor ate for breakfast while composing his latest soundscape and Gen X'ers can't prattle off DeNiro's last 10 supporting roles.

Alma likes this.
  4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember the worst lede contest from many years back?

Maybe start it up again but using food terms, would be a silly use of everyone's valuable time.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He ate drugs.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's "sautéed," isn't it?

Edit: In the spirit of full disclosure I must point out that the computer's auto-whatever added the accent mark.

7. reformedhack

I think there's a significant difference here. Food isn't like popular music or pop culture. Increasingly, people are taking a lot more interest in what they're eating, how they're eating it and who's preparing it. Hardcore interest might wane, but consumer habits are clearly shifting. If anything, I expect you'll see it becoming ingrained in their kids' lives, too.

Yes, some people go overboard in their culinary passion and enjoy the snobby pretense. But there are plenty of fantasy sports geeks, too.

8. reformedhack

You are correct, sir.

saute (noun, verb), sauteed (verb past-tense) ... I couldn't get the accent marks to appear.

(Edit a few luxury and city magazines and this stuff eventually lodges in your brain. You also keep a copy of "Food Lover's Companion" next to your AP Stylebook to help you know when to use "filet" and "fillet" ... it's a curse, I tell ya.)

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK. Why isn't it like these things?

The interest in food among millennials is clearly a cultural phenomenon.

Alma likes this.
  10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

It is, but I couldn't get my computer to do that, hence the makeshift version I posted.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I want some coo whip. (Just playing with ya, Jeff)

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, he frapped them into a shake.

Draft saved Draft deleted