1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Fellow Journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsnut22, Jul 19, 2011.

1. sportsnut22

sportsnut22 New Member

That's a great response and you are 100% right about the freelance stuff. It's like a never-ending maze and you hit it right on the head, they don't have to pay people good money because there are so many of us out there willing to do it. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. This is why I posted the question. It may seem cut and dry but I've seen others get good advice on here, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it out there and get feedback. Thanks again.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Your wife is a teacher?

Stay where you are. She is not finding another job.

My division educates 24,000 students and has 3,000 employees, do you know now many general teaching poistion we have advertised right now as open? None.

Unless she is a speech therapist or special edication (and that is not a slam dunk anymore) certified, you are making a huge roll of the dice by moving.

3. sportsnut22

sportsnut22 New Member

All fair points. The only profession that may be hurting more than journalism is teaching. We joke all the time that we should get divorced and each marry someone with a profession that isn't dying a slow death every day. lol

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Being at a more "prestigious" paper where more people will see your work shouldn't matter. A good story is a good story no matter where it appears and if you go looking for a job down the road, people will realize that when they see your clips. We've had a helluva time filling some open positions because so many bloggers applied and they not only can't write worth a lick, they all want to start out covering big-league stuff rather than getting their feet wet with preps and the like. Given your wife has a job, that's a tough call. Good luck.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Can your wife find a job there? If she can't, can you afford to live there? If you move to Dickinson, N.D., for example, crappy apartments are going for $1,500 for a one bedroom and $2,500 for three bedrooms.

Have you asked about relocation help or just didn't get offered any?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Education is not going away. It just contracted from 2008 until now. It will get back, but you need for people to retire.

Six years ago, a school division I know ran out of people to hire. They exhausted the applicant pool. Now, the line is five deep for a position. The supply of jobs is not meeting the demand. It will even out in a year or two.

Her career right now is stronger than yours. How many years has she been teaching?

7. sportsnut22

sportsnut22 New Member

They don't offer any. I asked about it.

8. sportsnut22

sportsnut22 New Member

She has been teaching for a while but has been at her most recent position for only one year, which makes her a candidate to be laid off.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Change careers. Now.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did you interview at this place in person? Did they pay your interview expenses? If you really want a job in the business, you have to start somewhere. It's just a matter if you really want to be in newspapers.

11. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

Sportsnut, you've got a tough choice but a couple of factors might not have been discussed here.

First, what has been the recent history of the $30K job's employer - in terms of layoffs over the past 3 years, furloughs, staff reduction through attrition, etc.?

Second, you mentioned that your wife has been with her current employer only a year, which makes her a candidate to be laid off. What is the recent history (going back, say, 3 years) of that school district in terms of layoffs, furloughs, staff reduction through attrition, etc.?

Third, what do you want to get out of sports writing? Which position do you think you'd have more fun in? Make the presumption that your wife won't get laid off - if the family's happy (and financially secure) and the $30K isn't really needed, why not stay where you are?

I'm curious what made you start looking for something in the first place (if you'd care to share).

About the move - how far away (wives can get antsy on anything over X number of miles). For mine, it's more than 1,000 or anything in Alaska. Is this a place you'd like to live? Your wife?

12. sportsnut22

sportsnut22 New Member

Thanks for the response FleetFeet. I will answer your questions one at a time:

The place hasn't had any lay-offs in recent years. My wife is in danger of being laid off.

I would have more fun doing the freelance gig but not by much. It's a pretty close call.

I started looking because as a freelancer I'm always seeing what else is out there. I would like more stability at some point.

It's a nice place to live and my wife likes the area. It's not too far, it's just the up front money of moving everything and getting a new place.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Draft saved Draft deleted