1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Fellow Journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsnut22, Jul 19, 2011.

1. sportsnut22

sportsnut22 New Member

I'm not sure if I'm posting this on the right board but I didn't see another place where it fit. I have a question for my fellow journalists. Your feedback is much appreciated. Say you have two job offers. One is a set $30,000 a year position with benefits. Although, you must relocate your entire family at your own expense and it's basically going to wipe out a large majority of your savings. The other one is a freelance position for around $300. This is the more prestigious position and would look better on a resume. This job is near where you live but obviously doesn't posses the long-term security of the other one. Would you take the safer job or roll the dice with something more exciting that could maybe turn into something bigger down the road? I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What do you mean you have two offers? A freelance offer is not a job. Do you have a spouse that works and has benefits? I also don't see how being a freelancer is more prestigious. If they are telling you there is a chance you could be hired full time, don't believe it.

3. sportsnut22

sportsnut22 New Member

Prestigious may not have been the right word to use. It's for a bigger company and the work would be seen by more people. The major sticking point is the relocation fees, which would be steep. Thanks for the reply.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

$300? Can we assume you would have the opportunity to build on that, or is this a one time thing?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's sad to say $30,000 is better than what many of the jobs posted on this site pay.

6. sportsnut22

sportsnut22 New Member

Possibly in the next year or two but it will always be contracted out, never full-time.

7. sportsnut22

sportsnut22 New Member

I hear you. This isn't the most lucrative career going. The full-time job is probably the way to go, I just wanted some feedback. Sometimes when you are struggling with a decision your mind turns to mush and you just keep going over the same things over and over.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What does your wife do for a living?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So....you would pass up a $30k salary for a $300 assignment?

What am I missing here?

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Can you just knock out the $300 freelance piece and take the other job? Doesn't seem that complicated.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Take the regular, $30,000 job.

These days, freelance jobs generally just lead to more freelance jobs, not regular staff positions. Freelancers are used, not hired, in part because they've actually proven they don't need to be hired in order for companies to get work out of them, and, these days, companies figure why should they hire someone if they don't need to.

You must have a track record in this business. and the best way to build one is through staff jobs. Freelancers are persona non grata, and unless a company is offering you a job as a regularly used, officially contracted freelancer -- that is to say, as a really regular freelancer for them that makes you almost a defacto staff member (without any of the benefits other than clips in a bigger paper, though), I would always go for a more regular, staff position, and then move up the ladder to, hopefully, better regular staff positions after that.

The move required by the first job you mentioned does not necessarily have to cost a fortune, and even if it does, it would be a one-time thing. Once you're there, you're there.

12. sportsnut22

sportsnut22 New Member

It's just the relocation I'm having a problem with. My wife is a teacher, so she would have to find another job and we have a young child. If it was just me, I would be gone already. But when you have others to think about it makes the decision a little tougher. My wife makes more money than me, obviously. That's the big sticking point. It's almost like taking a step back but as I'm sure you all know, full-time writing gigs don't grow on trees these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted