1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for experienced Journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pderrick, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Don't be stupid.

Go back to your job where you make a truckload of money. You may not love your job, but I don't think too many sportswriters love their jobs these days either.

I spent the last two years of my career waking up every morning wondering if that was going to be the day that I lost my job.

I lost track of the number of people who told me over the years, "Oh, I always wanted to be a sports writer..."

Most were smart and resisted that urge. Others, like me, were stubborn and then had to do complete career changes before you turn 35.

Sportswriting is also not even remotely close to as glamorous as people think it is.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was about four years ago, but I doubt it's changed. I read something that said that 95 percent of journalists will never make $50K in a year. I didn't really believe it because I made that much for the bulk of my career, but then I heard about a college writer who I really respected who worked for 30 years in the business and never made more than $40K.

Even freelancing is insane these days. Almost 20 years ago, stuff that I would get $50 to $75 to do is now almost half that.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

If I could change one thing in life, it would be to reverse my decision to get a journalism degree and get into this horrible industry.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

DON'T QUIT YOUR JOB. YOU'LL REGRET IT.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't regret the J degree. I wish I had gotten a degree in another field.

6. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

think you have your answer, son ....

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

All of us here in journalism also made six figures at one time. Ours always involved a decimal point after the first four numbers, tho.

Don't quit your day job.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm starting to think reliance on freelancers and stringers is just the way the business is going anyway. So if you're doing that, keep doing it, as you'll be as much a sports journalist as anyone else will probably be in a few years. You should be able to get clips from papers in Houston covering high school games at least. From there you can probably work your way into college or even pro freelance gigs.

I echo the "Don't jump!" sentiment in the rest of this thread. While I miss reporting, in terms of the actual act that goes into doing interviews and writing a story, I do not miss "the industry." At all. I was, from a fundamental labor standpoint, not treated very well as an employee at a newspaper. I'm sure there are places where that's not the case, but that's usually because of a specific manager or editor who's struggling against what was - in my experience - an increasingly negative business culture.

9. I'll be working my 12th consecutive Christmas day on Sunday ... This year was my first Thanksgiving day off since 2000 ... If that sounds appealing, go for it.

To paraphrase Daniel Tosh, they say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a wave runner and have you ever seen a sad person on a wave runner? No. Keep your day job and the money, the alternative sucks donkey dick.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Also remember that staying in the Houston area might be a longshot. This profession can take you to some pretty remote locations.

I know I was raised in with a "do what you love" mindset, so there was an interesting moment of understanding as I came to terms with the realities of making under 25K. Even if you don't want to keep doing your current thing, that salary you have now is a lot of security and comfort to give up for an industry that rarely loves you back.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I wish everybody in life could simply forget the money and do what they love; that would be the recipe for happiness in a vacuum.

In real life, it's not very practical. You're making that money in that job, keep it, and do what others have said: Freelance, blog, whatever.

If you hit on something that's so great you can make a living at it, fine. But establish that before leaving the other.

12. nate41

nate41 Member

I'm a little younger than you and have never had a full-time gig. I've basically gotten by as part-timer for some places, freelanced, and done some day jobs (first in retail, and now I've upgraded substantially to substitute teaching and a job in the marketing/special sections dept. of the big city paper).

I want to go back to school for teaching in the next year, which I know isn't much better than journalism in terms of pay and finding a job, but to me, the hours are the clincher.

The best part about being a freelancer is if I have plans on Saturday, I pass on the assignment. And I can bust ass out of there once the game is over and not have to sit at the desk till 1 a.m. taking calls and paginating.

I've got enough connections that I can still freelance on the side to scratch that "itch" once I jump ship fully.

Patch gets a lot of much-deserved ridicule, but if there's one if your area, that might be a way to get some clips without too much of a commitment.

Draft saved Draft deleted