1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for everyone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Dec 28, 2006.

1. So I am at a sports bar with my wife's cousins the other night when the question comes up: "So who were some of the cool people you interviewed this year?"
    Of course, I entertained the question, and was wondering if you guys get this question from family, and of course, if so, what are your answers?

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Me: "Tell you what, I'd love to talk about that, but first let me tell you how I talked my way out of a ticket on the way down here."

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My best was Coach Bill Yoast, of Remember the Titans fame. He was an absolutely fantastic guy and his book worth reading.

4. Those questions have never bothered me. I like to mention the accommodating interviewees then, and maybe mix in some big names (a couple ex-presidents come to mind, outside of sports personages). I understand that our job is outside of most people's frame of reference, and it looks cool to them. And deep down, we know it's cool to be on the cutting edge of breaking news, or we wouldn't stay in this business.

I would on occasion attend faculty functions with my wife, and one of her superiors always thought my job was interesting. I (secretly) thought his was, because he was one of the leading international authorities in his field. Yet he thought covering college sports was just the end all and would say so without being patronizing about it.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

My family has no idea what I do beyond "working at a newspaper," and I'm fine with that. Means I don't have to talk about work away from work.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've been playing my Harley Race card for years; I don't think the story will ever be topped, and I quit trying long ago.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

What is a Harley Race card sounds like a response in a word play category on Jeopardy.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Can you repeat it for us 'rasslin fans?

I apologize in advance for asking.

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I'm no country music fan, but at a summer internship in college, I had to do a story on Aaron Tippin, who was playing the state fair. I didn't want to do the story or even interview him - who the hell is Aaron Tippin? He turned out to be a gregarious, fun sort who gave great quotes and laid on his "country charm". My first comment to him: "So, you're playing the state fair ..." Him: "How 'bout that, buuuudddy." It was all fun from there for 15 minutes.

10. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

My list is short, but diverse. And believe it or not, Harley Race is on it. It also includes Tommy John, Lou Whitaker and Oliver McCall. Also various NASCAR drivers, but only at media junkets, so they don't really count.

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I love name dropping and Melissa Joan Hart. One of my favorite interviews was with Casey Mears on the set of "Days of Our Lives." One time I got to interview Penn and Teller and Teller actually spoke. Very cool.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I didn't interview any "big names" this year, but my most interesting interviews have been with under-the-radar types: a professional cyclist, an Ironman triathlete, a guy who completed Primal Quest, a deaf basketball coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted