1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for do-it-yourselfers and/or homeowners

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, May 14, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

There are two things I need in a shower: scalding hot water and water pressure to nearly make me cry. The shower in my new place gets hot enough...it has no water pressure to speak of.

My question is this: will a new shower head change that? If I buy one of those handheld things, with the multiple settings, will that increase the water pressure without having to do the massager setting (three jets don't help me get the conditioner out of my hair)? Or is it all set by the water pressure that's set elsewhere and I'm in trouble regardless?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

New shower head will do next to nothing if your pressure is low to begin with.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, poop.

The shower head I have now is an adjustable one, but it appears to be from the 40s. So if I move the lever over, it goes to massage, so I know it can put out water. I just hate the three-jet thing because it is too concentrated. I was just hoping a showerhead with more intermediate settings would allow some give.

4. Just two?

[​IMG]

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Best. Fenian. Photopost. Ever.

Meow.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Check to see if the hot water valve leading from your heater is wide open.

A new shower head may help. Your old one could be clogged with scale.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

By the sound of it, you're shit outta luck IJAG. It's the water pressure. If it were the showere head (a la the low-flow shower head episode from Seinfeld) you could find an OLDER shower head - in my last apartment, the thing was from the 60s and sheared my flesh off. But today, most (if not all, at least up here anyway) are low flow and environmentally friendly.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'll check the valve. And keep my fingers crossed.

Just didn't feel like dropping $40 on a new shower head if it wasn't going to make a difference. Thanks guys.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Also check to see if there's a water restrictor in there....cuts the water bills (and pressure) in half.

Take the whole thing off, then see how hard the water blasts. You'll know if it's the pressure or the shower head.

Draft saved Draft deleted