1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for DirecTV and Dish Network subscribers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Sep 5, 2006.

1. DirecTV is great, because with DirecTV, I get the NFL Network. If I had Time Warner, I would miss live programing including 53 preseason games and the march to the playoffs, not to mention the crappy programing the they have on when there's no live football to broadcast.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

If Hell has cable, it'd have Charter's basic lineup.
    Charter is that bad.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The DirecTV HD dish is more susceptible to weather related problems, which makes sense because it's a slightly bigger dish with 3 arms.

That said, I read an article in the WSJ that said cable companies are starting to run into a broadband problem -- they're running out of room, and they need to broaden their bands even more. This is mainly due to internet traffic. I think it said Cablevision is the only company to do it so far-- to the tune of 60 billion dollars. So when the other cable companies have to upgrade, I see all kinds of reduced customer service and higher bills.

I also think the HD signal on DirecTV is slightly better quality than the HD signal on cable. Which also makes sense because the cable company is making the picture travel one more step than the satellite company is.

4. MichaelJackSchmidt

MichaelJackSchmidt New Member

I've had DirecTV since April and have never lost a signal. And that includes when Tropical Storm Ernesto blew through the Mid-Atlantic last week. Cable companies love to talk about satellite signals going out, but it's not a major problem.
    Cable companies are evil.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I have DishNetwork, and like any satellite/cable crap, yeah it goes out. Dishes go out when the weather gets really, really bad, and it may not come back for an hour or so. But I've had cable go out on a perfectly normal day and it doesn't come back until the next day.

I've rarely had problems with DishNetwork. Sure, some of it at first can be a pain in the ass, but overall, I like it and plan on keeping it. The 120 package gets you NFL Network, CSTV and the four basic ESPNS (original, the duece, Classic, News), plus a host of other regional networks, like FOXSMW and FOXSRM. Also, the best part of DishNetwork is they give you anywhere from 5-7 preview channels, which change every six weeks. Sure, sometimes they give you a channel you already get, or a channel that sucks, but you also may get something cool like the Military Channel, Fox Soccer Channel or ESPNU.

6. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

My dad's house isn't in an area with a lot of constrution, but he does have few trees in his back yard. My guess is those blow into the way.

Plus he lives in Dallas, where weather can get quite severe a couple tiems a month.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You mean like my little cable company, which provides the Military Channel, Fox Soccer Channel and ESPNU? ;)

I'll say it again, it's not black-and-white. Many cable systems bad; some cable systems fine.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, jesus christ man, we get it. you own multiple stock in cable tv.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You can just call me shot, dude.

(Translation: Your hard-on is not going to keep me from making my point.)

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well obviousfuckingly. why don't you explain the wonders of cable yet one more time?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Had an appointment to get the satellite hooked up when I moved into an apartment, but I happen to be in a spot (with things in the way) that made it impossible. I canceled my cable two months later and have gone eight months without it. I don't hate cable, but I can live without it. Of course, as soon as I'm in a spot to get DirecTV again, I'll resume my viewing addiction.

Draft saved Draft deleted