1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for DirecTV and Dish Network subscribers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Sep 5, 2006.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Yeah, people in the state were pretty hot. One company does most of the cable service in the bigger communities. We got a lot of calls Friday and Saturday.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

The school I cover has been on ESPNU several times over the past two years. Last year, it happened for the first time.
    Our desk got beseiged with angry calls. One redneck gentleman, according to our assistant sports editor, just kept repeating, "I can get the 2, but not the U!"
    He tried to explain the concept to this man, and others, but eventually gave up.
    2 more games this season are also on the 'U'. The desk is dreading them.

3. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Get a dish. It is a rare moment when signal is lost.
    As for cable, mine was lost three years ago during a hurricane. They never reconnected the wire from the pole to the house. But sure enough, some assclown comes knocking on my door two months ago telling me my cable box is live and I've been stealing cable. I pointed to the wire still to this day wrapped around the telephone pole, the dish on my roof, expanded my vocabulary and slammed the door in his face.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I didn't lose my signal last year as Hurricane Wilma was battering my house (and the eye passed right over me).

It took the backside of the eyewall knocking my dish off its mounting for me to finally lose my signal.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've had Dish 5 years. Lost the signal about 15 minutes in that time. Customer service is great, unlike the God-forsaken cable company.

If you get snow, you do need to make sure the snow doesn't collect in the dish, but the way they're positioned, that's not usually a problem.

Cut the cable!

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Great, now professional wrestlers, our president and old coots calling to bitch about not getting games all have their own catchphrases.

7. I've had DirecTV twice. The first time I had it was only a couple years after it was first released, and I did have intermittent outages during very heavy rain storms. Then I moved into a different apartment that wouldn't accept a dish, switched to cable, hated it, then switched back after I moved out. After the switch (with a newer Dish), I had much fewer outages (it took a tropical-storm like downpour to knock it out, but it only lasted a couple minutes). And after another move -- this time to the rain-happy Pacific Northwest -- I got another new dish and had zero -- ZERO!! -- outages during a period in which it rained 32 out of 33 days. So my very non-expert, low-technical gut feeling is that DirecTV has improved the technology in the dish over the years, and the claim about outages cable companies once had is no longer as accurate. But that's based on my experience alone.

In my experience, DirecTV has better packages at better prices than cable, and when new channels come on the air they are almost instantly available on DirecTV, which almost never happens with cable.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I have both DirecTV and cable and as far as outages, cable's always last longer. DTV will go out for seconds or minutes but once the storm passes, the signal is fine. If cable is out, it is out.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Of course, what we always seem to lose in debates like this is that we're relating to "cable" like it's one singular entity. Every community has its own cable system. Some suck. Some are good.

I have had NO outages in the six months since I got my cable back. And I've saved money going from Dish to cable, with just as much selection. If it's good, it's good.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it means anyone leaves Comcast, it could be their best investment ever...

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Love my dish. We've had some shit weather and we've lost it only briefly one time.
    Ditto what everyone said about customer service, too.

LOVE my dish. Not Dish. dish. I'm DirecTV.

Wife raised hell when I switched and has now promised to kill me if I go back to cable.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I'll never go back to cable. every year comcast was going up a couple of bucks and had lousy stations.
    I'm with directTV now and rarely does it go off, even in storms.
    When I called to cancel my caable, they asked why. I told them I didn't need it anymore.
    Then they asked if I'd keep it if they cut me a break on the price -- I told them they should have done that three years ago and I might have considered staying.
    bastards.

Draft saved Draft deleted