1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Canuckistani music fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RickStain, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

LOVED Haywire's "Dance Desire." What a fantastic fucking song, from the greatest year of my teenage life, 1987.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Say Haywire open for Kim Mitchell at the Civic in Oshawa. Wasn't "Bad Bad Boys" their other semi hit?

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

She said ... bad, bad boy ...

Yes, it was. Did I ever tell you the keyboardist, Dave Rashad, was the son of the Saputo guy in Charlottetown who was the main supplier for my uncle's pizza shop?

I interviewed Dave and Paul for my high school newspaper. At my uncle's kitchen table.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Actually here's a question and I've wondered about: Why aren't The Tragically Hip a well-known and popular band in the US?

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I see your Chilliwack and raise you a Sass Jordan and Alannah Myles.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Haywire's other popular song that I liked was "Black and Blue" which I believe was the follow-up to "Dance Desire." CFTR, the big Top 40 station in Toronto, played the shit out of those songs. :)

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Muahahahahahaha ...

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Sweeney Todd people. They played my high school dance - first time with Nick Gilder, second time after he left and was replaced by my classmate Bryan Adams. We had Trooper too. 8)

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Counterpoint? My next door neighbour's band? Hee hee hee ...

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Some people (like myself) would suggest that future Blood, Sweat and Tears schlockmeister David Clayton Thomas never made better music than in the mid '60s with his Toronto bands The Shays and The Bossmen, whose big hit
    was perhaps the first Canadian protest-rock record, complete with the bleeping out of the word "damn" in the last verse.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Hip should be huge down south but I've always maintained that they are almost too "Canadian" (Rheostatics fit this too), if that makes any sense. Their early stuff was very radio friendly - and is played to death up here - but chock full of references to hockey and other Canuck staples. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong with that. The Hip is one of the great live acts anywhere but their music over the last number of years hasn't been that accessible for the masses.

And I do remember "Black And Blue", not a bad record at all.

If JJ is gonna go all old school here (surprise, surprise), I'll throw out The Ugly Ducklings and Klaatu. Oh yeah, and Goddo.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

what about Great Big Sea... Are they still around?

Draft saved Draft deleted