1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for anyone who knows anything about Norm Chow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt Foley, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

My beloved bruins are currently in the hunt for a new coach and many of the fans (including myself) are really pulling for Norm Chow. Now there are a number of other candidates (which I won't get into at the moment) but Chow's name has been going around for quite some time now. The thing that always get brought up whenever Chow's name is thrown out during any head coaching discussion is that he is a bad (and I mean HORRIBLE) interviewer. And you just can't help but wonder why someone whose coaching has been at least partly responsible for 3 national championships and 4 heisman trophies, and is almost universally regarded as an offensive genius, has never landed a head coaching gig. I would just like to know if any of you have any insight as to what these supposed issues are with Chow's interviewing. As far as I can tell, the only way that someone with those qualifications gets routinely turned down is if he makes it a habit of walking into the interview with a beer in each hand. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, and a happy holidays to everyone.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They used to say the same thing about Tony Dungy. Bad interviewer. Perhaps Chow is just a lot more introspective and not a big gladhander.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't have any insight about Norm Chow. I have met the guy. I have no idea how he comes across in an interview, although he seems like a bright, reasonable guy outside of an interview room. Either way, I'd be willing to bet Norm Chow isn't getting this job and Rick Neuheisel somehow talks his way into it.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

First of all.....I wonder what happened with UCLA and Leach. I thought they were going to get a deal done.

Second of all.....Considering they brought Neuhisel in for a second interview, I think it's all but done. And that will assure Bruin fans/boosters they will be on probation by the year 2013.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

...but beating Utah or Utah State.

6. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

As far as Mike Leach goes, most people think it has to do with money (Leach's contract will have him making well over 2 million in the next couple years and UCLA just isn't willing to match that right now). With Neuheisel, many people hope and believe (and I'm certainly one of them) that his interviews have been more about pleasing the alumni/boosters (there apparently is a sizable group of them who really want as the next coach) since his previous NCAA violations and the negative recruiting he did against UCLA when he was at Washington mean that UCLA will never actually hire the guy. Thanks everyone who responded.

Draft saved Draft deleted