1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for anybody familiar with Tennessee football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chester, Nov 18, 2008.

1. chester

chester Member

It's not really about the team itself, but more just about going to a game at Neyland. Me, my dad and a friend are driving down from Ohio for the UT-Kentucky football game on Nov. 29. We got tickets through UK's athletic department (dad's a season-ticket holder), and we're looking for the best place to tailgate before the game. I've never been down there as a fanboi, just once before to actually cover a game, so I'm not familiar with the parking situation for non-media types.

We obviously don't have a parking pass, so I don't know if there's anyplace in the immediate vicinity of the stadium to park. But we're looking for someplace where we can set up a small grill and crack open a few cold ones before going into the stadium.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I went to a game at Neyland, people tailgated all over the place, from downtown to down by the river, by the World's Fair Park, anywhere south of Cumberland Ave. You might try south of Neyland, near some of the other ball fields.

3. chester

chester Member

Thanks.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There are several public lots down by the river along Neyland Drive, though I would imagine you'd have to get there pretty early (like maybe on Friday) to get a decent spot.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Anywhere on the river. Period.

6. ScribePharisee

Just don't invite Fat Phil to the barbecue. He'll eat everything in sight.

7. chester

chester Member

I was wondering what kind of crowd this game would actually get. I mean, UT's out of it; Kentucky is, well, Kentucky; and the students will all be on Thanksgiving break.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Probably be 70,000 at the game, even though Tennessee is sucking and Kentucky is ... Kentucky.

9. ScribePharisee

And 60,000 orange-clad fans holding up "Hire Mike Leach" signs.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Attendance has been brutal the past several games, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an uptick for the finale, simply because there will be no more football until August. Still won't crack 100k though.

Do be aware that the DOT has basically blown the local freeway system to smithereens.

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/smartfix/jwp/

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Doesn't Neyland hold 100K+?

We're not talking about Louisville fans here, don't Vols fans show up in good times and in bad?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1. Yes, official capacity is 102,000-plus, but they often pack in 105 or 106K for Florida or Alabama.

2. Until this year, yes, that's always been the case. But only two games this year — Florida and Alabama — have seen capacity crowds.

Draft saved Draft deleted