1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

question for all you city-slickers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

FACT.

FACT.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

oh snap!

you've been served!

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Well, I'm an educated guy, I read a lot and I keep up with the world beyond the boonies as much as I can, but my ignorance of popular culture, particularly anything related to TV or movies, is legendary among those who know me. I know who Nestor Makhno, Knut Hamsun and Rico Carty are, but I can't tell you a single movie Brad Pitt has been in. Seriously. All I know about him is that I'm supposed to care to whom he's married.

I wanted to know if I had a legitimate complaint with the phrase or if it was something I "should" know.

The "oh, snap" usage was in the freaking Week In Review section, not the Style section. :mad:

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

wrirish,

You need to get one of them big-screen plasma HDTVs. It'll get you right up to speed.

5. writing irish

I don't own a TV, but every spring I consider getting one for NBA/NHL playoffs. Problem is, I don't want the fucking thing taking up space in my living room when I'm not watching sports. :)

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Then what you really need is a bar.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Whach ya'll be eatn' on? /hillbilly

Uh ... plates. /city folk.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

It's what Crackle and Pop say to their friend when he does something silly.

9. Huge among middle-schoolers, if my daughter is any indication.

10. writing irish

I watch games either at a bar or a friend's house. It's worked for me so far. I also listen to games on the radio at home, which makes me weird, I suppose. If I want to watch a DVD, I go to my girlfriend's house or watch it on my laptop if it's a movie she doesn't want to see. I'll probably break down and get a TV at some point, but I really like the way my living room is now.

BTW, I polled the office. All the women know what "oh snap" meant. None of the men did. Not sure about the sociological significance of that...except maybe that out here in BFE, the women pay more attention to certain aspects of pop culture than the men do.

11. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

There's only one you need to see:

“A River Runs Through It,” based on a novel by Norman McClean.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh, snap -- you did not just call writing irish a middle school girl!

(I believe that's how a middle schooler would use it in a sentence anyway)

Draft saved Draft deleted