1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for all. What do you do with an old computer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Oct 29, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've got an old Mac Performa in storage. Bought it in the late (mid?) 90's and now it's just taking up a lot of room and I want to get rid of it.

It's not worth anything.

I don't want to just throw it in the garbage.

Goodwill doesn't want it

Is there a way of recycling so it doesn't just end up in a landfill site somewhere?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

See if you can give it to a used computer store... Most larger towns have a salvage type store... if you're in the boonies, your SOL...

Or, you can save time and send it to Hockeygoon. All of Ontario's trash ends up in Michigan landfills anyway....

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Go on your local Craiglist and put up an ad saying you will give it to anyone willing to pick it up.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My county has a hazardous waste pickup day once every few months. Computers are considered hazardous waste. You might check with your town, county (shire?) or whatever your political division is up there.

If you're worried about security, take out the hard drive, rub it against some speaker magnets, then drill a few holes in it. That should discourage all but the most determined data miners.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

You've seen Office Space, right?

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Wasn't this a Night Ranger song once?

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

May I introduce you to the Smith & Wesson Model 500.

[​IMG]

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Who's Hockeygoon?

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I may be a computer geek, but this is time to have some fun! Open the sucker up, play around a little, figure out how to do some of the stuff that will save you $$$ (ie, see how the hard drive is installed, PIMs and RAM chips)... get the lay of the land. You no longer need it, so have some fun with it. Did that with an old PC I had, learned tons. Have an iMac that sitting in a closet awaiting the same fate, when I can get the time.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

JR,
    See if there's an Electronic Recycling Association (www.era.ca) or something similar in your area. We have ERA out west. Not sure about your 'burbs.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gus the Kicking Mule's older brother

12. Stupid

Stupid Member

crap, see if anyone will buy it first. you never know. I once had a Mac 2si that I got $25 for

Draft saved Draft deleted