1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about wireless routers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jan 4, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Many of them, actually.

I have a high-speed wire running into the house and want to get a wireless router, so I can post on sj while the wife uses her own laptop from the couch.

What do I need to look for in one (funky numbers I don't understand, jigawat processing speed, etc.)? How much should I pay?

I'd like to buy one soon. Possibly tomorrow if tonight I can find the info I need. Any help would be appreciated.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Make sure you do not get a 2.4GHz cordless phone. Get it on the wrong channel, and it will play massive havoc with your wireless router, especially if you get a cheaper one.

3. Mine's from Belkin. Don't remember how much we paid for it a few years back, but it wasn't a whole lot - $60 to $80, maybe. And the best thing about Belkin is they have reliable customer service if and when your service is knocked offline.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

ONE-POINT-TWENTY-ONE GIGAWATTS!!! GREAT SCOTT!!!

[​IMG]

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Make sure it comes with some kind of firewall or password protection.
    Last thing you want is your neighbors hijacking your wireless signal or getting a free ride on it.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/computers/wireless-routers/index.html

7. I recommend the Apple Airport Express. We got this bad boy for $79. It works with two Apples, a Windows machine and an XBox 360 concurrently.

8. three_bags_full

I wish I could understand all the jibberish found in reviews and "how to choose wireless router" links.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Go to Wal-Mart, Target or Best Buy.

Get a Belkin wireless router in the $40 range.

It will set up very nicely. Read the instruction book on how to set a password so that your neighbors can't steal your connection.

PM me with any other questions.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Don't screw around.
    This is the product, especially for the novice:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6304082&type=product&id=1074787298555

[​IMG]

Sets up wireless network for you. Dummy-proof software holds your hand through the whole process.
    13 digit, WI-FI encryption. No one can steal your signal or "drive-by."
    You and can surf at the highest cable/DSL speed your processor will allow. Works great with Vista, if you're running Vista. We have one computer on Vista, one off.
    This router has the speed booster, too. No dead spots in the house.

I highly recommend. You will finder cheaper routers. But, you won't find a better one for the price.
    Seriously.

Here is the same router for $50. No booster, but doesn't matter unless you're doing high-graphic gaming.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&id=1051384663529

EDIT: I just noticed that this router was on Frank's customer review site.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Agree with the Best Buy recommendation. Strongly disagree with the Belkin recommendation. Belkin makes nice USB hubs, but it's hard to mess those up.

Get a Linksys WRT54G 802.11g wireless router]. I've had one for two years with no problems and lots of speed --- it's literally faster than your broadband connection (unless you have a T1 coming into the house). Linksys is a subsidiary of Cisco Systems, a company which knows a little bit about networking. Ignore the models with Speedbooster, which is nothing more than BS. Ignore the Wireless N models, which are based on a wireless spec that won't be finalized for another 18 months.

12. three_bags_full

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted