1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about wine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FireJimTressel.com, Nov 22, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Failing that, Jack Daniels

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Love My Goat wine.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't think a Frenchman worth his Gruyere would be caught dead with a chilled red.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jesus....Fenian, Jr. and spnited and I finally have found common ground. Somehow, the four of us need to get together for a wine tasting and get plowed. Then we'll solve all the world's problems.

I just got more respect for you guys. Anyone with your taste in wine can't be all bad.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nice call on the Los Vascos cabernet. I remember 8 to 10 years ago when you could get a bottle for $7 or $8, believe it or not. Now it is in the $10 to $12 range, and the reserve versions can go for as much as $40, for the 2001, for example. I believe they actually brought over ungrafted vines from the Rothschild estate in France, where they make Chateau Lafite, and found a climate and soil in Chile that nurtures the grapes well. This stuff is the best value going in wine. It will cost you about $10 to $12 and it compares favorably to many wines four or five times the price. It's also hard to find bottles because the secret's been out for years now.

6. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

This answer is the closest to my own tastes. Penfolds will probably take you up to about $15, though, and Jadot, some of the varieties are more in the $18 range. If you have a good wine shop, ask for a recommendation in the Spanish/Chilean section. These wines are often as good as the top Australian shiraz or cabs, yet are closer to your stated $10 preference.

As for California wineries, I like J. Lohr for reds and they do a respectable reisling, too.

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I can't tell you how disappointed I am that MertWindu hasn't replied to this thread. YOU'RE SLIPPING TEX!

8. Cracker

Cracker Guest

JD is what I'm drinking with Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow.

I drink wine more than any of my friends, but I have NOTHING to add to this thread from a "wine person" perspective. Yellow Tail Merlot or Shiraz goes well with anything I eat.

9. Don't look at me, dude. Screwtop=bad is as far as my wine knowledge goes.
    But I do loves me a fine port after dinner.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Funny, port is one drink I've never been develeped a taste for.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

58 or 60 is not "chilled". You just want to knock the temperature down from 75 --if that's what your room temperature is.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I believe that all wines from New Zealand are required to have screw tops. Last time that I went to Napa, the person giving us a tour said that cork was a huge waste, but that people didn't trust wines with plastic corks or a screw top.

Port is very good, although the prices have gone way up in the past couple of years.

Draft saved Draft deleted