1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about wine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FireJimTressel.com, Nov 22, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"And bring me anything with alcohol in it" [/tomhanksinvolunteers]

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

And many wines are no longer using real cork but some plastic-like synthetic cork

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Screw top bad; cork, or cork surrogate or any other substance put in the top of the bottle to keep wine in, air out and make these PC bastages STFU, good.
    Jeebus fugging key-rist ;)

4. That reads like a ransom note, slap.

5. oldhack

oldhack Member

NEVER put red wines in the fridge. Serve them at between 65 and 70. If they get much warmer than that prior to serving, maybe you should use them in a sauce reduction.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The Shiraz idea is good, although now -- since a lot of wineries have kangarooed on the bandwagon -- a bit of a crapshoot. I've had Shirazes that have been really good and others that have been, well, shall we say, koala-piss.

I've always been partial to Corbett Canyon, a Central Coast winery that I've visited. I'm not a huge fan of Chardonnays, but theirs is very good. So is their Cab. Both are reasonably priced ($6-8).

There are some others further up the price and food chain I could recommend.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yellow Tail Shiraz (Australian, from a vineyard run by an Italian family) is quite good as are Yellow Tail's Shiraz-Grenache and Cabernet-Shiraz blends...and relatively inexpensive

8. oldhack

oldhack Member

What you get depends on where you live. But if this is basically a gift for the hostess, why not try a nice California Cab, maybe Stags Leap, for probably under $25. Would help to know where you live. If you live in the godforsaken place where I used to live, forget the wine and take a box of candy. If you live near a Costco, you are in luck if you can get there before closing time tonight. Costco is the nation's No. 1 wine seller, and they have good stuff across the board, and in some locations REALLY good stuff.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I love Syrahs.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Wild Horse makes a pretty good Pinot Noir, but if you want something a little lighter, DaVinci makes a really, really good Chianti.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not true. Pinot Noirs should be served at "cellar temperature" or between around 58 and 62F.
    No wine should be served at 70F.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The key word your looking for in wine is 'fortified.'
    Try Wild Irish Rose.

Draft saved Draft deleted