1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about wine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FireJimTressel.com, Nov 22, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio... about $15-20 a bottle
    One of my favorites.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I like a good sav blanc (a local winery makes a very good one) with lighter meals, but with a turkey dinner it might be a bit overwhelmed. That's why I suggested going up a notch or two. However, I'm sure the hosts won't be disappointed with a sav blanc.

One thing, fjt.com: It might be that the host has wine planned for the meal already. In which case, do not be upset if she thanks you for the wine, then puts it away (I almost said in her rack) for consumption at a later date.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

One of mine too. I actually discovered this at a hotel in Vegas several years ago. It wasn't very popular yet, and when I got home I had to go to a pretty nice wine shop to get some. Now, of course, they stock it at Circle K.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Having been around a bit, Penfolds from Australia is good stuff, as are a lot of Aussie wines. I'm also partial to Louis Jadot if you're looking for French, and my local ABC always has a good selection. Mine has the bonus of a pretty knowledgable staff.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

6. Damn, hondo.
    Serious oenophilia.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you're thinking red, a pinot noir is also OK. Won't overwhelm the meal like a lot of heavier red wines.

Lots of choice here: France, California and some terrific ones from Oregon and British Columbia.

Should be slightly chilled (fridge for about 20 minutes)--that's about cellar temperature.

8. blueview

blueview Member

La Yunta, an Argentinian white wine, has never failed as a gift for Thanksgiving dinner.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Good call. Escudo Rojo is another inexpensive red from Chile. As mentioned above, for value, you can't go wrong with the Aussie stuff -- Penfolds, Greg Norman. For whites, try a sauvigon blanc from New Zealand -- always a good deal.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Screw top bad. Cork good.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Actually some of the better Aussie wines are going screw top now. There's nothing intrinsic about cork that keeps the wine better--it's just it's all they had back in the day.

12. jrfinger

jrfinger New Member

If you are having turkey, you are probably better off getting a Chardonnay, a fruity Pinot Noir or a Californian Zinfandel, which is what most people drink with Thanksgiving turkey. Even though most people eat white-meat turkey, red wines hold up pretty well since it is gamey.

Most wine stores have the Wine Spectator ratings posted and it isn't too hard to find a 90 for $10-15.

Draft saved Draft deleted