1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about the movie 21

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 21, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm really dumb at math but the way I see it, is since they open door No.3 and there is a goat there, they obviously couldn't open door number one and have a goat there, because he already picked door no. 1.

So we know there was a 67 percent chance of a goat between doors 2 and 3. Now that three is showing, there is a 33 percent chance of a goat in No.1 and No.2, so switching the door gives you a 67 percent chance of being right.

Either that or I am thoroughly confused.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Goddammit, I've been looking everywhere for that damn goat.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Try box seats at Yankee Stadium.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

From Wiki...

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

• Choose which of the three doors has a car. (33% chance of being correct)

You choose door 1.

I show you door three has a goat.

So now there are two doors, and one has a car.

There is no reason to change your choice.

You how have a 50% of finding the car.
    It's a great question because it shows the character of the person changing doors or not changing doors.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

You're right. The key to the puzzle is when the host (who knows the answer) shows you a goat. At that point, the answer becomes easier to see.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

When you picked door No. 1, you had a 67 percent chance of being wrong. When door No. 3 is revealed to show the goat, that doesn't change the probability that you were wrong. Therefore, door No. 2 is the right choice 67 percent of the time.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This sentence makes no sense to me.

Please read it very slowly.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Yes, once one is eliminated, it DOES increase your chances you are right.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

No, it doesn't. I know you like to argue, but I am going to pull rank here. I took calculus in ninth grade. You switch to door No. 2 because you have a 67 percent chance of being right. This is a mathematical certainty. I will not address it again.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

You are both right .. one is speaking from the positive (33 percent likelihood of being correct), while another is speaking about the negative (66 percent likelihood of being wrong) ... two sides of the same equation.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

No, only one of us is right.

12. Simon_Cowbell

66.667, asshole. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted