1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Steve Bartman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Did any player stand up for him in the immediate aftermath of the loss? Did anyone say something like, "The guy made a mistake, but he's human and we all make mistakes, and if you make his life difficult our whole team will take it personally, so lay off"?

My vague memory of the chain of events - I didn't follow the fallout intensely at the time - is that nobody said anything of the sort. Since that bothers me as a human, I'm wondering if I have things wrong.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

First, thank you for bringing up bad memories. [/longsufferingcubsfangirl]

Second, you're wrong. Less than 24 hours after the incident the organization and players, including Alou, made public statements absolving Bartman.

3. The problem with that is Moises Alou's little onfield temper tandrum did more damage to Bartman's image than any of the public statments did good.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

"There's no reason to piss all over the guy." -- Moises Alou

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree. You can make statements 'til the end of time but nothing can ever replace the video.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Exactly. If he just returns to his position without the drama, no one would have ever heard of Steve Bartman.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Fixed.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The ESPN "30 For 30" project will feature a Bartman documentary.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I'm sure Bartman is thrilled.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Wayne Drehs did an awesome E-Ticket feature on Bartman for ESPN.com a few years ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bartman

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My favorite moment in that whole saga was when the guy posed as Bartman and fooled Dan Patrick on SportsCenter.

12. I'm curious who lost their job over that one, because you know DP wasn't going to stop talking about it until someone did.

Draft saved Draft deleted