1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about staffing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lurking, Apr 28, 2007.

1. lurking

lurking New Member

I'd like to describe a situation to you all and get your opinions on what kind of staffing, in terms of paginators and copy editors, you'd expect.

Let's imagine a 16-page Sunday section for a paper with a Sunday circulation of 275,000.

How many people would you expect to be in the office, and how would that number be broken down in terms of responsibilities?

Thanks for your input.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I've laid out a 14-page Sunday section with just myself and an agate guy, so it can be done.

With that said, I'd expect at least three layout, three desk and an agate guy.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Depending on how early your deadlines are, and how much late copy you have coming in (and on how many different pages), it'd be nice to have one of those rimmers handling a late page on layout, too. Especially in a 16-page section.

That said, I've laid out a 12-page Sunday section more than a few times by my lonesome.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

24 pages last Tuesday. That was a hoot, I tell you what.

5. lurking

lurking New Member

While we're hypothesizing, let's also assume there are three editions with quite a few changes in each. Say, for instance, the first edition is due around 9:30, the second at 11:30 and the last at 12:15.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We do that with 12 or so, including part-timers.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're all a bunch of lucky bastards. Twelve, Moddy? Goddamn.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What we should expect, or what we expect based on experience and the realistic stateof the business?

The first: Two designers, four rimmers, a slot, an agate kid.

The second: three rimmers (one doing agate), a slot, one designer.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's why I consider myself fortunate. I'm going from six total full-timers (just two deskers, including myself), and no part-timers, to 16 full-timers (including six deskers) and a handful of part-timers. I won't know what to do with myself if I only have to design three or four pages each night. :D

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you'll have more time to spend on here *** oh, wait.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I do well at multi-tasking. ;D

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Enjoy it while you can, that's what you'll do.

It won't last. You always end up doing more than they like to make you think you're going to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted