1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Sports Xchange

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd say it is an issue with the writer rather than Sports Xchange. Have you talked to the writer? Do you know who does it? If not, call Sports Xchange.

I have one of those bags, too. Used it for a long time until the strap finally broke.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Got burned back in the day, wound up getting about 25 cents on the dollar I think, in installments, after some lawyers untangled everything. Have to admit, that was better than getting zero on the dollar, which is how it would have gone if I'd been the one stuck chasing the legal remedies.

Sports Xchange the Second Generation paid on time but the amount wasn't enough to continue doing the work. No matter how much you tell yourself, OK, I'll limit this to 15 minutes and then it will be worth it to me, you end up --out of professional habit-- spending a half hour or 45 minutes on some daily b.s., which effectively halves or cuts in third your pay.

Plus you know, deep down, that whatever you're getting paid for the work, the Sports Xchange brass is getting more for it. They're taking a cut off the top, and not knowing whether that cut was 10 percent (a $2.50 commission with $25 going to me) or 100 percent (paying me $25, selling my work for $50) began to annoy the hell out of me.

The quotes attribution stuff? Let's face it, that's a mess all over. As a beat guy, though, I would have a big problem with someone lifting my original work to resell for their mad money. I would, without hesitation, confront such a slug directly.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The time/pay factor is big as well.

I made the mistake a few years ago of taking on almost half the conference I cover, and filing weekly reports on Sundays. Figured it couldn't be that bad. WRONG!!! It was sheer torture, and I couldn't wait until the season ended just to get out from under all the extra work I'd created for myself for what, at the time, seemed like an OK amount of money.

They called me the next year to ask if I'd want to do the same thing again and I said basically, hell no, I'll do my team but that's it, that the money they were paying me wasn't near worth enough the amount of time I'd put into those reports to do them right. The guy chucked and said, 'Yeah, I don't blame you.'

4. accguy

accguy Member

I had one of those nifty bags with my first initial and last name on it. It just arrived out of the blue, which was rather nice.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Joe, we've clashed, but I'm with you 100 percent on that.

And Norman, that was exactly what my experience was. It was too much.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There are definitely times where I've wondered if it was worth it. But I'm not really in a financial position to turn down the extra dough. It's just enough to make it worth it.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I have filled in on baseball and found it to be appropriate money for the work .

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

The old TSX was great for me, but I was on to other things by the time Cooney bailed and things got ugly. The current management is psychotically ethical. If they knew quotes were being lifted, it would be an unhappy day for the lifter.

9. Joe Williams

Just to be clear, Cooney's the one who revived it after the first version went bust, right? And he still is involved?

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

My understanding is that Cooney started it and sold it. The guy he sold it to let it go tits up and then Cooney took it over again. But again, I am not certain. Been a long time.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think that is correct, Lester.

12. Joe Williams

Glad we're all in agreement then. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted