1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Sports Xchange

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Oct 1, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Any ya'll cats know anything about Sports Xchange?
    I did a little something for them last month and I got an e-mail asking me if I could do some more for this month.
    I had never heard of them before this and I was just wondering.
    Worth noting I still haven't gotten paid for my last assignment, but so it goes.
    I know they are legit. I was just wondering.

2. scribe77

scribe77 New Member

They're completely legit. They feed notes to USA Today, plus Web sites such as foxsports.com and cbs.sportline.com. Payments usually go out once a month. Never heard anyone upset about missed payments, at least among regular contributors.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I've been doing it for three years or so.

Had an issue with some late/missed payments early on, but they were rectified and haven't had a problem since.

Easy money, really.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Easy money. They pay on time. I could not recommend them more.

It took awhile for my first payment to be processed, but everything afterwards has been on time.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I would love to work for them again. Never had an issue, and it truly is easy money.

6. Many of their reporters are well-known for stealing quotes from papers and not attributing them. This is not discouraged by the people running the show. That said, I'm told they do pay well and quickly.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The old SportsXchange was a gold mine for many. Easy money, lots of it, prompt pay. Then they started up again, under new management I assume. I had no luck getting my 1200 from them.
    Can't speak to wtd's point (not saying he's wrong). The guys I worked for insisted on attribution for all quotes you lifted. No idea what they do now.
    In about a year's span, I got stiffed by those folks and by Blue Ribbon. Badly. LOTS of work. No money.

8. Moderator, surprised to hear you got stiffed. I would think if you touched based with Frank Cooney that would be rectified. They are very concerned about prompt payment for work. Frank started the original one and restarted the current one. In between, some investment people got involved, created an IPO scenario and then walked out on everyone. Frank was left holding the bag. As for attribution, they require attribution of quotes but if a writer sends a quote in without proper attribution that can be a little difficult to verify without someone bringing it to their attention. As for the pay schedule, it's usually in the middle of the month after.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend it if you're married, the work they ask for is time-consuming for what they're willing to pay, which to me, wasn't enough.

I did a weekly report and I gave it up for that reason. I'd be blowing off my family for hours at a time on my day off after a home game, or, staying up until 4 a.m. in a hotel somewhere with an a.m. flight or an hours-long drive just to hit deadline given my travel time. It wasn't worth it for me.

But if you have the free time, it's not bad. Never had any pay issues either.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We use them for a ton of stuff, get diverse copy from all over the place and it helps plug a lot of holes. Can't address it from the writer standpoint except to say that we've gotten copy from the same writers time after time over several years, so can't really believe they're doing that if they're not getting paid in timely manner. Moddy, can't speak to your situation, of course.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I do one of their conference college basketball reports. You generally get payments around the 15th of each month. Have never had any problems getting paid.

And yes, the work can be time consuming, especially if you cover a small conference where half the schools get very little newspaper coverage. You end up having to listen to radio postgames to find the "quote to note." One school in my league gets a quote from the coach for his release, but only if the team wins. Like he's afraid to talk to the coach if they lose. It can be frustrating.

And my deadlines suck. It's not their fault, though. They want stuff by mid-afternoon on Tuesday, and the conference I cover plays a ton of Monday night games. It's tough to do it early because of that. Still, I like the extra scratch.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This was a number of years ago, eight or so (my Blue Ribbon stiffing was in 2000). This was not recent. It was before Sydney because I was one of the people they talked to about doing some work at the Olympics. Lucrative work.

You could set your clock by those checks and one month they stopped. A bunch of paperwork and promise of future payment after reorg and it never came.

Draft saved Draft deleted