1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about sports journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KB8Fanatic, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Cool! The smackdown!

And "KB8": I agree that with the Kobe thing, there was a lot more supposition than fact. But when you start saying someone recanted, then you are just flat-out wrong.

If you are going to bust people on facts, you have to be on a slightly higher plane than the rest.

Sucks? Yes. But that's just the way it is.

2. KB8Fanatic

KB8Fanatic New Member

I have been listening, you have giving me nothing that pertains to what it is that I need to know. I realize that you are more experienced than I am and I was ready and willing to listen to you yesterday when you had told me to pm you, even than you didn't provide any assistance, this entire post you have tried to baffle me and prove that I do not know anything. What exactly have you told me about sports journalism besides that fact that I need to listen and learn?

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Sweetheart, get off your pedestal.

Just out of curiosity, did those 10 interviews come from people on this site? Because if they did, you know most of what you know about journalism from this site.

You already have a piss-poor attitude that's not going to work in any job-field -- not just journalism.

PE offered you the best advice so far on this thread. I'll add my own.
    1. Minor in journalism so you have something to fall back on.
    2. Sign up for the school newspaper.
    3. Pick up a copy of The Best American Sports Writing -- any recent year will do.
    4. Don't use anyting you've heard from ESPN.
    5. Stop using ==) or whatever that is if you want to be taken seriously.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

KB8,

Here's a piece of advice I give to people just starting out in the business: Don't assume you know anything. The point being that the more you think you know, the less willing you are to, as Moddy said, listen and learn. Whatever business you decide to go into, go into it with an open mind and a clean slate.

And one more thing: If you don't learn to sit there an take it sometimes, you'll never succeed in anything you do. Otherwise, you'll never stop talking long enough to realize you don't know what you're talking about.

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Wait. I have no opinion on you one way or the toher, but I am now confused.

You are seeking someone to interview, yet you say you've already interviewed 10 people? Then what exactly do you need here that none of those 10 could give you? Or did you happen to get those ten interviews in the last day?

6. KB8Fanatic

KB8Fanatic New Member

I do not have an attitude and if I did it certainly does not reflect on my ability to handle my job correctly, if I did I wouldn't have been promoted to a manager position at where I work at right now, after only being there less than three months.

I already did the interviews last night. While some of you were jumping down my throat in this thread, people were sending me pm's agreeing with what I was saying in this thread and were gracious enough to give me a real insight into the field.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, because we are basically nice people who want to help youngsters, we're going to all start fresh right here and now.

KB8, tell us specifically what you want to know.  Specific questions.   We will do our best to answer and I will personally e-mail your professor to tell him/her that you did this work and even took the initiative to seek out help on this site.

I'm not trying to jump your shit, seriously.  You are not that different from many young people. Your generation has way more tools at your disposal than mine did.  Unfortunately, it sometimes makes your generation think it is smarter.  It is not.

Then/than - do learn the difference there.

Fresh start, which I'm sure is cool with everyone.  Let's have the questions.

8. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Wow, from the way she describes herself, she seems awfully like me when I was 19.

Fortunately for me, I got a reality check shortly thereafter and changed my ways.

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I applaud Moddy for turning this thread back to its initial intent, which was to help this girl. Does she have a lot to learn about our field? yes. But jumping on her won't help her learn anything. We should try to remember we were in her place once.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

And that answers that.  Very good.
    10 interviews in one night, Nice.

But just some advice, you may or may not have an attitude. But it's going to come off like that if you respond with a statement "While some of you" instead of "While some here."
    There is a vast difference in they way people percieve words. By saying you there you've included us all, (especially me, and I know I've said nothing to berate you), despite the use of "some of." By just saying "some here", you narrowed it and those who could car eless about this thread don't suddenly feel offended by you.
    The advice being, in everything you do the proper choice of words can make you or break you.

Otherwise, good luck.

11. KB8Fanatic

KB8Fanatic New Member

Well thank you all for your comments and input =)

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No further questions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.